Reviving the Rover

Non-Topic Converstation - Anything that doesnt belong in another section should be posted here.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
thebranded

Reviving the Rover

Postby thebranded » August 2nd, 2016, 1:47 pm

So my tegs been my daily and not been maintained.

I had been doing my own oil changes but thats about it. Over the last 6 months (or more) i've been getting horrible milage and finally decided to get it checked out at my local mechanic. Normally i go to them just to get rego done (which involves checking the lights and a walk around inspection) this time i got to them check the whole car.

Whats wrong:
    Possible ECU going (i beleive its the O2 sensor only though (CEL says code 1)
    Injectors leaking
    Exhurst leaking, plus tail pipes rusted out
    CV joints and shafts leaking (boots missing)
    Steering rack leaking
    Hatch rusted through (patched up with silver insulation tape, have a spare in garage
    low tread on tyres
    Engines leaking oil
    lights all good

Recommendation was to scrap it.

Tegs been in the family since 1990, (its an 89 model) and the body is looking great, been in some significant accidents, but all good now.

Anyway of that list what should i tackle first?

I have very limited experience working on cars, no access to a workshop or speciality tools. might get some pics over the weekend. At the moment i leave for work whens its dark and get home when its dark.
Rover 416i aka Honda aka Acura

Suspension: Illumi's all round, 24mm torsions (waiting to be installed) Cusco front strut bar
Intake: K&N Drop in filter
Exhurst: 2" SS 75% parts aquired.

gtpilot
G1 n00b

Re: Reviving the Rover

Postby gtpilot » August 2nd, 2016, 3:52 pm

Replace the o2 sensor first and see if you mileage improves.

Where is the exhaust leaking - could be a safety issue?

CV joints - pay the core charge and pick up two new half shafts, replace them (and change the transmission oil - be sure the oil is hot when you do it!) in less than a day (even if you have never done it before) and return your worn out half shafts to get your core refund.

Where is the oil leaking from on your motor? Oil pan gasket? Around the distributor/cylinder sensor?
Last edited by gtpilot on August 5th, 2016, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d16a3teg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby d16a3teg » August 5th, 2016, 10:20 am

recommend - replace 02 sensor; fit refurbed driveshafts; injectors leaking seems odd unless its the seals at the top of the injector on the fuel rail - if they really are then replacing them should be 1st priority as fuel in the engine bay is not a great combo.
70 N360
86 Integra SX16
88 CRX Si
90 Integra LS Vtec
03 MDX
08 Subaru Outback

Topic Author
thebranded

Postby thebranded » August 29th, 2016, 8:13 am

Thanks for the feed back and sorry for the lack of updates been a mess at work and home.

gtpilot wrote:Replace the o2 sensor first and see if you mileage improves.

Where is the exhaust leaking - could be a safety issue?

CV joints - pay the core charge and pick up two new half shafts, replace them (and change the transmission oil - be sure the oil is hot when you do it!) in less than a day (even if you have never done it before) and return your worn out half shafts to get your core refund.

Where is the oil leaking from on your motor? Oil pan gasket? Around the distributor/cylinder sensor?

Taken the heat shield off but not been able to get to the extractors/headers of. (why did they put the O2 sensor behind the headers!?)

I dont believe there is a health issue with the exhaust. Just the tips and possible a hole further in.

At the moment my only source is ebay for parts, i dont believe we have a core charge? its just full price, no refund for old part. I have not bought replacements yet.

d16a3teg wrote:recommend - replace 02 sensor; fit refurbed driveshafts; injectors leaking seems odd unless its the seals at the top of the injector on the fuel rail - if they really are then replacing them should be 1st priority as fuel in the engine bay is not a great combo.

Where can i source injectors and how easy is it to replace? Same with the driveshafts.

Some pics:

Exhurst pies, (was told there is a leak further in as well, but not sure where

leaking head

Hatch rust (under silver tape, but the tape is wearing off now), have a replacement so im not to worried about this just need to the do the swap

O2 sensor connector was coverd in oil

Suspension: Illumi's all round, 24mm torsions (waiting to be installed) Cusco front strut bar

gtpilot
G1 n00b

Postby gtpilot » August 30th, 2016, 8:30 pm

didn't realize you had no access to local parts - so yes, you are correct that you will not have a core charge buying something on eBay. http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/acura,1988,integra,1.6l+l4,1000089,drivetrain,cv+half+shaft+assembly,2288 - don't know if this is an exact for for a Rover but at least you have a starting point?

d16a3teg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby d16a3teg » August 31st, 2016, 1:31 am

on the driveshafts try suzukisuper - they are in sydney and I've got all of the driveshafts I've needed from them - good price and good product, they'll also fit from what I understand

http://stores.ebay.com.au/suzukisuper

oil leak looks like it might be from the o-ring on the distributor or the cam position sensor - this is a simple enough fix

on the exhaust tips - cut them off with either a hacksaw or an angle grinder if you have access to one - they stick out a fair way so cutting it short won't cause too much of an issue and will clean the look up.
70 N360
86 Integra SX16
88 CRX Si
90 Integra LS Vtec
03 MDX
08 Subaru Outback

d16a3teg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby d16a3teg » August 31st, 2016, 1:32 am

on the injectors - can you get a photo of what it looks like in near the fuel rail?
70 N360
86 Integra SX16
88 CRX Si
90 Integra LS Vtec
03 MDX
08 Subaru Outback

Topic Author
thebranded

Postby thebranded » September 6th, 2016, 8:13 am

Injector pics!

Topic Author
thebranded

Postby thebranded » September 10th, 2016, 4:34 am

is there no other way to replace the O2 sensor than to remove the extractors?

d16a3teg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby d16a3teg » September 11th, 2016, 6:40 am

You can try, if you can get the heat shields out of the way then you might be able to get a 22mm spanner in on the O2 sensor and get it off. You'll definitely need the ring spanner - opened ones have a tendancy to open up a slip off.

Looks like its the upper o-ring on the injector that has gone old and failed along the fuel rail.
70 N360
86 Integra SX16
88 CRX Si
90 Integra LS Vtec
03 MDX
08 Subaru Outback

Topic Author
thebranded

Postby thebranded » February 16th, 2017, 12:18 am

Little update

FIXED 1. Possible ECU going (i beleive its the O2 sensor only though (CEL says code 1) - was throwing error code 1 due to bad injectors
REPLACED 2. Injectors leaking -
3. Exhurst leaking, plus tail pipes rusted out
4. CV joints and shafts leaking (boots missing)
5. Steering rack leaking
6. Hatch rusted through (patched up with silver insulation tape, have a spare in garage
7. low tread on tyres
FIXED 8. Engines leaking oil - Head gasket replaced, waiting to see if other leaks.

gtpilot
G1 n00b

Postby gtpilot » February 16th, 2017, 9:17 pm

You're making progress! Excellent!

d16a3teg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby d16a3teg » October 25th, 2017, 10:12 am

Any further update?