Turbo kit what is missing?!? :)

Turbo, SC, or NOS related topics...

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

User avatar

Topic Author
Miketakeahike
G1 n00b
Posts: 99
Joined: May 21st, 2013, 9:00 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Turbo kit what is missing?!? :)

Postby Miketakeahike » June 2nd, 2013, 11:39 am

Image

Actually just gathered som stuff in my garage :lol:
Would be nice with a complete list/w images on what you actually need for a complete turbo kit to make it work on the D16a1.
Babyblue Teg 1988 5D
"http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/Miketakeahike/library/Acura"
If you are a Yank beware, the rest of the world uses the metric system ;)

User avatar

silentsnow31802
Legit G1Tegger
Posts: 220
Joined: August 14th, 2012, 2:43 am
Location: Napa, Ca
Contact:

Re: Turbo kit what is missing?!? :)

Postby silentsnow31802 » June 2nd, 2013, 5:29 pm

You should add fuel injectors to your list.
Snow

User avatar

Topic Author
Miketakeahike
G1 n00b
Posts: 99
Joined: May 21st, 2013, 9:00 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Turbo kit what is missing?!? :)

Postby Miketakeahike » June 2nd, 2013, 6:09 pm

- Turbo + Exchaust manifold
- OBD1 converted ECU with turboedit or something similar
- Turboboost gauge, wideband lamda, knock sensor perhaps
- Larger injectors
- Massive fuel pump Wallbro or Bosch 044
- Map sensor
- Oil Cooler and Oil temperature gauge
- what else?!?

Optional:
- Blowoff valve preferrably recirculating system
- Intercooler with piping
- Exchaust temp gauge
Last edited by Miketakeahike on June 4th, 2013, 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Babyblue Teg 1988 5D
"http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/Miketakeahike/library/Acura"
If you are a Yank beware, the rest of the world uses the metric system ;)

User avatar

g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b
Posts: 86
Joined: March 25th, 2005, 7:02 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Turbo kit what is missing?!? :)

Postby g1_teg_lover » June 3rd, 2013, 10:20 pm

There's no MAF sensor for the G1, just the MAP sensor.

I'd honestly consider an oil cooler to be a required part for turbo'ing the D16. The extra heat that the oil passing through the turbo will absorb might cause the oil to brake down faster under longer drives (not 100% sure on how heat saturated a good synthetic 5w30 gets in a N/A engine when compared to a Turbo'd engine, but wouldn't want to risk it with all of the moving parts, especially in the head).
Knowledge gets accumulated like resins in bongs.

User avatar

Topic Author
Miketakeahike
G1 n00b
Posts: 99
Joined: May 21st, 2013, 9:00 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Turbo kit what is missing?!? :)

Postby Miketakeahike » June 6th, 2013, 6:39 am

How do you solve oil and watercooling Connections to the turbo? Pictures would be nice.
This would be he most difficult to solve if there isn't a ready solution IMO.


g1_teg_lover wrote:There's no MAF sensor for the G1, just the MAP sensor.

I'd honestly consider an oil cooler to be a required part for turbo'ing the D16. The extra heat that the oil passing through the turbo will absorb might cause the oil to brake down faster under longer drives (not 100% sure on how heat saturated a good synthetic 5w30 gets in a N/A engine when compared to a Turbo'd engine, but wouldn't want to risk it with all of the moving parts, especially in the head).
Babyblue Teg 1988 5D
"http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/Miketakeahike/library/Acura"
If you are a Yank beware, the rest of the world uses the metric system ;)

User avatar

MinkelR
Site Admin
Posts: 625
Joined: November 23rd, 2006, 10:25 pm
Location: Bellingham, WA

Re: Turbo kit what is missing?!? :)

Postby MinkelR » June 6th, 2013, 9:27 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe most people tap the feed from the oil pressure sensor in the back of the block. Most people thread the oil return line somewhere in the oil pan. Not sure where you could hook up the water cooling.
1987 Acura Integra LS (Rest in Pieces)
1989 Acura Integra LS Daily Driver
1992 Mazda 323 (Sold)

User avatar

silentsnow31802
Legit G1Tegger
Posts: 220
Joined: August 14th, 2012, 2:43 am
Location: Napa, Ca
Contact:

Re: Turbo kit what is missing?!? :)

Postby silentsnow31802 » June 7th, 2013, 12:24 am

MinkelR wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe most people tap the feed from the oil pressure sensor in the back of the block. Most people thread the oil return line somewhere in the oil pan. Not sure where you could hook up the water cooling.


This is correct. That is exactly how mine is setup and believe me it flows plenty of oil lol. I do no have the water cooling set up on mine but ive read up on it. People tap into the IACV cooling lines and run them through the turbo, I do not remember before or after the IACV in way of water flow though. It would make more sense to me to have it go through the IACV then through the turbo.
Snow

User avatar

Topic Author
Miketakeahike
G1 n00b
Posts: 99
Joined: May 21st, 2013, 9:00 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Turbo kit what is missing?!? :)

Postby Miketakeahike » August 16th, 2013, 1:47 pm

silentsnow31802 wrote:This is correct. That is exactly how mine is setup and believe me it flows plenty of oil lol. I do no have the water cooling set up on mine but ive read up on it. People tap into the IACV cooling lines and run them through the turbo, I do not remember before or after the IACV in way of water flow though. It would make more sense to me to have it go through the IACV then through the turbo.



Thinking about this... is that where the hot water flows under/around the throttle body so it does not freeze in wintertime? (Aluminium intake + brass "throttle-plate" = moisture, moisture + Cold = ice)
Babyblue Teg 1988 5D
"http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/Miketakeahike/library/Acura"
If you are a Yank beware, the rest of the world uses the metric system ;)

User avatar

MinkelR
Site Admin
Posts: 625
Joined: November 23rd, 2006, 10:25 pm
Location: Bellingham, WA

Re: Turbo kit what is missing?!? :)

Postby MinkelR » August 17th, 2013, 10:34 am

Miketakeahike wrote:
Thinking about this... is that where the hot water flows under/around the throttle body so it does not freeze in wintertime? (Aluminium intake + brass "throttle-plate" = moisture, moisture + Cold = ice)

Yep
1987 Acura Integra LS (Rest in Pieces)
1989 Acura Integra LS Daily Driver
1992 Mazda 323 (Sold)


AlexmenIsog
G1 n00b
Posts: 19
Joined: September 21st, 2016, 3:39 pm

Turbo kit what is missing

Postby AlexmenIsog » November 12th, 2016, 1:47 am

Im thinking for much further ahead but what do you guys think is the most reliable turbo kit to install on your 86?


delmetyqd
G1 n00b
Posts: 3
Joined: October 1st, 2016, 11:07 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Turbo kit what is missing

Postby delmetyqd » November 19th, 2016, 1:45 pm

for your swap its better if you get a turbo kit since you have so low compression you can handle crazy amounts of boost.


Return to “Forced Induction”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests