Control Arms

Various setups, tips, etc.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Control Arms

Postby VAPRAI » December 7th, 2013, 12:50 am

Got some new tires and have had multiple shops tell me they can't properly do a wheel alignment due to one control arm being cracked and the others worn.

There seem to be plenty of aftermarket options for the left and right radius arms but the ones I need replaced the most are the ones labeled as lower arms in the service manual (P/N 51301-SD2-671)
#3 here: http://www.oemacuraparts.com/parts-cata ... -lower-arm

Any options out there for these?

There seems to be mass confusion with the way these parts are labeled on the aftermarket.
RockAuto for instance lists the radius arms like parts #9 and 10 as lower control arms.

87g1teger
Legit G1Tegger

Re: Control Arms

Postby 87g1teger » December 7th, 2013, 1:40 am

number 3 in the picture I have never heard of anyone replacing them, I think they might be talking about the radius arm.
Use the "View Active Topics" button on the main page to see what's going on..
"Bro, I only have two hands and one dick. I could only put in one mouth at a time." - Jon Martin
Hacking up your Hondas and Acuras Since 05'!

Topic Author
VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » December 7th, 2013, 2:41 am

The radius arms and bushings definitely need replacing but one of my control arms has a crack running down it, the other seems a bit worn too.

Just wondering if there are any options for those aftermarket or if I have to try and pull one at the salvage yard.

MinkelR
Site Admin

Postby MinkelR » December 7th, 2013, 5:01 am

To my knowledge the lower arms (as labeled by Acura) are not remanufactured by anyone. There is no service procedure for them. You'll have to pull one off at a wrecking yard. Chedda J makes some replacement bushings for them. Can you get us a picture of the damage? Normally the issue is with the radius arms and radius arm bushings and not the lower arms. Energy suspension makes a killer set of polyurethane bushings for the 84-87 crx that fits our cars that comes with all serviceable suspension bushings.
1987 Acura Integra LS (Rest in Pieces)
1989 Acura Integra LS Daily Driver
1992 Mazda 323 (Sold)

Topic Author
VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » December 7th, 2013, 5:20 am

I'll try and get a pic next time I have it on the lift. Shouldn't be a problem finding lower arms at salvage yards here because from what I can tell the same ones were used on Civic and CRX. If there isn't a service procedure I might do a step by step replacement guide once I figure something out.

Definitely sounds like polyurethane bushing kits are the way to go.
Any experiences with Prothane brand? Jegs is always hawking them.

MinkelR
Site Admin

Postby MinkelR » December 7th, 2013, 6:41 am

Yeah. You *might* be able to replace that whole torsion assembly. Pulling that arm out might be a pain in the ass but there's probably a procedure on redpepperracing.com. Never used the Prothane bushings. You can grab the entire Energy Suspension kit for under $100. If you do, make sure to get the black bushings. They're impregnated with graphite to limit squeaks. The part number is floating around here somewhere. The polyurethane radius arm bushings will pull your toe in majorly so get an alignment done right after you install.
1992 Mazda 323 (Sold)

Topic Author
VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » December 7th, 2013, 6:53 am

Yeah, 16.18101 for the entire kit or 16.3101 for the front only. Good to know about black vs red.

Thanks for the assistance! I'll be getting to work on this.

Topic Author
VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » December 12th, 2013, 12:20 am

Got a chance to get it up on the lift and have a look myself. Here are some pics.
The control arms look okay to me, what the alignment guys thought was a crack was just the paint or coating cracking off.

The torsion bushings are shot though, don't believe those are included with the Energy Suspension kit.
Will be ordering from Chedda J.

MinkelR
Site Admin

Postby MinkelR » December 12th, 2013, 2:28 am

Yeah. The ES kit doesn't have the bushings for the lower arm. It does however have the bushings for the radius arm. The RA bushings are normally worn to Hell.
1992 Mazda 323 (Sold)

AlexmenIsog
G1 n00b

Control Arms

Postby AlexmenIsog » October 6th, 2016, 10:06 am

I thought blaznlow aka chewy could do some cool aluminum rear control arms and maybe front lower however this would cost alot of money in aluminum.

Return to “Chassis/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”