Radius arm removal

Various setups, tips, etc.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
silverecco
G1 n00b

Radius arm removal

Postby silverecco » July 4th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Steering been stiff recently. Pulled out of a parking spot and heard a clunkclunk. Lower ball joint was toast and separated. I've changed the control arms before before but this time I can't remove the end of the arm from the bushings. Replaced the bushings with the control arms about 5 years ago. I have been hitting where the 24 millimeter nut attaches for two hours. I used a pickle fork to separate the knuckle and the ball joint without any problems. I have been spraying with silicon grease to try to loosen the arm from the bushings but have had no success. Wtf.

evtsteward
Site Admin & Crunkass Teg Mechanic

Re: Radius arm removal

Postby evtsteward » July 6th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Have you removed the torsion bar bolts and their rubber bushing stack-up? Can you provide a pic of the problem?
Robert, that crazy guy with all the tegs!
Always an honor to be quoted.-B18Ch1ck
The great ships hung in the air in much
the same way bricks don't.-Douglas Adams

The value of life can be measured by how many
times your soul has been deeply stirred.-Soichiro Honda

Topic Author
silverecco
G1 n00b

Postby silverecco » July 6th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Yes I had removed the stabilizer bar link and the two bolts holding the control arm to the torsion arm. I finally got it out with a bigger hammer. BFH to the rescue once again. The metal sleeve of the bushing had rusted to the control arm and the rubber was absorbing the shock of the hammer blows. The end of the control arm where the 24mm nut goes was so mushroomed from the 500 hammer blows that it couldn't fit thru the metal washer on the bushing. I had to dremel it down. One of the most frustrating delays I have ever experienced. Didn't want to spend my entire day off hammering on suspension parts, but I suppose if it had failed just a day sooner or later I would've missed work :roll: ... We were on the side of the road racing a huge thunderstorm, and we got everything packed up not 60 seconds before the downpour.

Despite all of the abuse, the bushings were in good shape since they are only a few years old. The reason the ball joint failed so quickly is because my buddy stabbed the boot with a screwdriver just as we got the new control arm on. Don't know what he was poking around at anyway; I've been sour about that for years. The passenger's side ball joint still looks and feels beautiful, although I might replace it anyway because it's time to re-grease the squeaky polyurethane sway bar bushings on that side now and rockauto has some control arms on closeout for about 15 bones.

evtsteward
Site Admin & Crunkass Teg Mechanic

Postby evtsteward » July 7th, 2015, 12:24 pm

Glad you finally got that fixed. I've replace a few in my time and had have never experienced a seized up one. They just slid out and the new ones I coated with silglide to prevent squeaking. $15 is a great price.
Robert, that crazy guy with all the tegs!
Always an honor to be quoted.-B18Ch1ck
The great ships hung in the air in much
the same way bricks don't.-Douglas Adams

The value of life can be measured by how many
times your soul has been deeply stirred.-Soichiro Honda

Topic Author
silverecco
G1 n00b

Postby silverecco » August 4th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Thanks for your help as always Robert! I've gotten pretty deft at working on this car, especially doing jobs that I've done before or on another D-series Honda. The first time I replaced the control arms the ball joints gave me an absolute fit. I didn't know about the pickle forks back then and was just trying to hammer it out of the hub. Took two days and a lot of cussing. Loaned a pickle fork set from the local napa and got that baby off in less than 15 minutes. Eviscerated the boot, so it's only viable when the joint is already toast. I'm positive I hit it last time with silicone grease, but it's not as tacky or persistent as some of the petroleum greases, so maybe it washed out.

Rock Auto has been clearancing a lot of stuff for our cars, so everyone should check it out once a month or so. I got a beck/arnley valve cover gasket for about 3 dollars and all of the grommets / tube seals for like 15 cents a piece. I actually can't find all of them .. That's the downside to buying parts and not putting them on for years. Also scored a full set of KYB struts from a former G1 owner for 40 bucks. Not looking forward to putting those on, but it's a blessing because our roads are horrifyingly bad in this city, and the ancient, low-end Monroes just aren't cutting it anymore. The work never ends!

Return to “Chassis/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”