Need to find front hub asap.

Various setups, tips, etc.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
gnomepunter
G1 n00b

Need to find front hub asap.

Postby gnomepunter » February 16th, 2015, 4:48 pm

have looked and cannot find a front hub for my 89 teg can someone point me in the right direction plz.

gtpilot
G1 n00b

Re: Need to find front hub asap.

Postby gtpilot » February 17th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Do you need a complete hub, just a bearing, studs? What is the demise of your current hub?

trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » February 17th, 2015, 5:35 pm

The hub requires a machine press to remove from the bearing and the steering knuckle. Salvage yards will sell the whole assembly together. Search for a "spindle" on http://car-part.com. Sort by distance from your zip code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spindle_%28automobile%29

trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » February 17th, 2015, 6:14 pm

There is a rubber ring that fits between the back of the spindle and the drive shaft. When replacing the drive shaft it is easy to lose that ring by returning it along with the core. It appears to keep dirt away from the back side of the bearing.

If you're taking off the spindle, make sure to install that ring on the driveshaft if the ring is missing. They are still available from Acura, and are listed under "DRIVESHAFT": (ring, outboard 44347-SB2-003).

Topic Author
gnomepunter
G1 n00b

Postby gnomepunter » February 18th, 2015, 12:29 am

Well I noticed a thumping coming from the pass side front on the way to work yesterday.so I stopped by a suspension shop and got them to do a full inspection.guy at the shop told me that my pass side front wheel bearing had alot of slack up and down in it.and that I needed a wheel bearing he went on to say that as old as my car was he would not pull it down without a whole hub since my hub was most likely worn as well.now if you guys think that I may can get by with just a wheel bearing(from your experience) let me know and I will order one.as far as having it pressed in I work at a cummins diesel shop so I can use our shop press to do it.

Topic Author
gnomepunter
G1 n00b

Postby gnomepunter » February 18th, 2015, 12:40 am

found this just now
http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/repl ... b+Assembly
plus what you posted trent.and this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1312432684 ... =82&chn=ps
kind of weary to purchase from the two I found as it would be my luck they would be the wrong parts.

trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » February 18th, 2015, 2:45 am

They didn't say the lower control arm ball joint was thumping?

There is a circlip that goes in between the bearing and the hub. If the bearing is already pressed onto the hub, there is no way to put in the circlip. In one of the pictures on a part webpage you showed, the bearing is already on the hub. I don't know what kind of force is required to put the bearing into the steering knuckle. Maybe it's so secure that a circlip is not really necessary, but Honda did design it to have one. The circlip will hold the bearing in while pressing the hub out of the center of the bearing.

Sometimes I drive around without staking a new spindle nut. When techs see the unstaked nut during a safety inspection, they stake it without telling me. They won't see the missing circlip, if that's the way you want to roll.

I once gave a spindle to a machine shop to change the bearing. It didn't fix the clicking problem I'm still having when accelerating in a turn. I tried changing the driveaxle too. The old bearing was probably fine.

On another occassion while I was fixing a strut arm bent a little in a crash, I bought a hub/spindle from an ebay seller. The first one sent had stripped threads for the strut clamping bolt. The second one, sent at no charge without returning the first one, worked fine with no rough feel when turning by hand or roaring sound when driving even though it was used. Honda wheel bearings are very durable and will last a long, long time. The bearing in my bent spindle still seemed OK at 350,000+ miles. The bearing on the other side is OK after 480,000 miles.

I changed a rear wheel bearing myself about 120,000 miles after sliding into a highway ramp curb. It was just a little rough feeling when turning by hand as discovered by a tech at Sears changing my tires.
Last edited by trent on February 18th, 2015, 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » February 18th, 2015, 3:14 am

The weight of the car hangs from those two front ball joints. Each big pothole pulls the ball joint out of the socket a little until it becomes loose and thumps. The final hit that completely pulls the joint out leaves that wheel free to flop around hanging by just the steering tie rod, the strut and the drive axle boot. The geometry might still keep the drive axle together. I was only going 7 mph when a ball joint popped out and the lower control arm came to rest on the inside of the alloy wheel grinding the car to a halt still halfway in an intersection.

If the car is on a lift with the wheels hanging unsupported, the weight of the wheel, spindle and strut gas pressure, if any, would push the ball joint down in its socket, but the strut is extended to its limit so the torsion bar spring still pulls on the ball joint socket in the same direction as the weight of the car would. I know the arm drops down some from the spring force after breaking it free of the spindle.

The way I find slack is to watch the ball joint while raising a floor jack under the control arm. It's hard because the jack keeps slipping off because the wheel is in the way of getting a solid perch under the ball joint. I don't do it as often as I should. With the car lifted and the wheels off is probably better.

I would get a second opinion about where that up and down slack is coming from, and ask to see the ball joint while demonstrating the slack.

trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » February 18th, 2015, 5:24 am

I edited my previous post.

Topic Author
gnomepunter
G1 n00b

Postby gnomepunter » February 18th, 2015, 12:11 pm

This is also the wheel that hit the guard rail a couple months back after the driver side ball joint came out,going down the interstate.I also noticed the tire is wearing real bad to the inside.it is likely hitting that guard rail damaged my ball joint.if it helps any when I took it to the shop its was raining and whenever I hit a puddle of water the car would pull hard to the pass side.and the noise is rythmic.changing with the speed.and from my experience working on larger vehicles (box trucks,tractor trailers,and other equipment)a wheel bearing doesnt normally clunk its grinds.

gtpilot
G1 n00b

Postby gtpilot » February 18th, 2015, 2:37 pm

gnome - do you have a copy of the factory manual to reference? I have a PDF of the entire manual if you want a copy? Rather large file though...

Jack up the front of your car and grab the front wheel at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position and rock the wheel back and forth to see if you can feel the wheel bearing being loose. Then get a second jack under your front tire and start to put upward pressure on the tire while watching the ball joint - if you see the tire going up before the radius arm (even a little bit) then the ball joint is loose.

Topic Author
gnomepunter
G1 n00b

Postby gnomepunter » February 18th, 2015, 5:33 pm

I would love a copy of the manual you can email it to me at namehere990@yahoo.com. and thanks

trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » February 18th, 2015, 8:17 pm

Jack stands might not go high enough to fit a jack under the tire. A long bar to pry with and a block of wood would work.

My bent spindle strut arm looked fine except for some stress patterns on the surface of the metal. The angle looked fine until I compared it next to a replacement spindle. The forces in my crash also put a noticeable little bend in the bottom of the strut where it clamps to the arm. It changed the camber for that wheel.

If the inside tire wear is on both tires, then there is too much toe out in the steering.

gtpilot
G1 n00b

Postby gtpilot » February 18th, 2015, 11:39 pm

Manual sent gnome...

Tent - good thought, taking the tire/wheel off would give a lot more clearance...

trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » February 18th, 2015, 11:54 pm

Wait ... pushing up from under the wheel/spindle won't show slack in the ball joint because the slack is already pulled tight in that direction by the torsion bar spring pulling the control arm and ball socket down and by the fully extended strut pulling the ball pin up.

The jack needs to lift from under the control arm against the force of the torsion bar spring. The slack in the ball joint will be in that direction. Jack stands should be behind the front mud flaps on the special lifting flanges.

There should be a "How-To" titled "How to Check Ball Joints on a G1 Integra". It's an important task to do for safety. Maybe a special control arm lifting jack pad can be made with a wood block so that lifting the entire car is not necessary. That way it would be convenient to check the ball joints after any big hit.

Driving a little hard with a safe G1 Integra really does impress because it's a classic. That means no mushy struts and shocks--all the more impressive you're not scared of a ball joint failing because you know they're not loose.

Topic Author
gnomepunter
G1 n00b

Postby gnomepunter » February 19th, 2015, 5:13 pm

Well I pulled down my hub and tire and checked my hub play.tried to check the slack and it had hardly any movement at all.it moved about the thickness of a dime.sorry all I had to check it with ghetto I know lol.the reason I took it to the suspension shop was because it had a bad rhythmic thump.well after I checked everything and reinstalled it I test drove it.well the thumping is gone and no vibration. I got curious and pulled it back down and it has the fast brakes kit with the hub centric ring.I noticed the ring had a little marking on it where something had rubbed it.best I can figure is the rotors came loose and slipped off of the hub centric ring.the roads where I live have alot of real bad potholes.so I am gonna wait till the weekend and drive it.I will let you guys all know what happens. and thanks for all of the help you guys sent my way.

Topic Author
gnomepunter
G1 n00b

Postby gnomepunter » February 19th, 2015, 5:16 pm

On another note I am about to replace my front struts.they are worn so bad I can push the car down with two fingers.and I can feel every single small bump in the road.so does anyone know of any replacements that would ride better but not empty my bank account.

trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » February 20th, 2015, 12:12 am

I have only known my G1 Integras with factory original or Tokico HP. The first suspension work I did to my two G1 Integras was to remove worn factory original struts and shocks and replace them with Tokico HP at the standard factory ride height. They are not easily available anymore for G1 Integras.

Maybe someone else has experience with KYB, Gabriel and Monroe struts and shocks which are priced lower than Tokico HP's and still available.

Return to “Chassis/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”