distributor rotor screw falling off; motor stumbles off suddenly and does not start

Engine and tranny related questions or discussions...

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
trent
G1 n00b

distributor rotor screw falling off; motor stumbles off suddenly and does not start

Postby trent » March 24th, 2017, 5:06 pm

When distributor rotors were still available from Acura, they were labeled "TEC", and they had a steel mounting collar with a grippy textured surface under the mounting screw. I have always been afraid to use Loctite on the screw because a little hex wrench might not break the screw free later. I never had problems with the mounting screw falling off an Acura rotor:

When Acura discontinued the distributor rotor and cap, I began having trouble with screws falling off aftermarket distributor rotors. This Beck/Arnley has a mounting collar with a beveled, slightly rough, yet still slippery surface under a shiny smooth mounting screw washer. A magnet does not stick to the collar. When the first screw fell off I think this was the kind of rotor I was using:

This Airtex (301001A) rotor has a flat untextured surface under the screw. The mounting collar is non-magnetic and appears to be made of aluminum. I was using an old Acura rotor mounting screw and it fell off after six thousand miles:

This BWD for Carquest rotor (D698P) has a non-magnetic surface under the screw with two ridges that look like they will hold the screw in place. The surface under the mounting screw is slightly rough yet still slippery, similar to the Beck/Arnley, but I'm hopeful that this one will stay tight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have now driven 16,500 miles with the BWD rotor and the mounting screw has not fallen off yet.

Topic Author
trent
G1 n00b

Re: distributor rotor screw falling off; motor stumbles off suddenly and does not start

Postby trent » April 5th, 2017, 12:17 am

I just noticed that although the cap and rotor set is discontinued, the rotor by itself is still available from Acura. The part number for the rotor is 30103-PM5-A05.

Topic Author
trent
G1 n00b

Re: distributor rotor screw falling off; motor stumbles off suddenly and does not start

Postby trent » July 31st, 2017, 3:22 am

Screw Still Tight, But BWD Rotor Wobbles Anyway

My gas mileage has been down this month so I decided to look at the distributor cap and rotor. I was using an Airtex cap w/copper wire connections and the same BWD rotor from Advance Auto Parts, now with 26,000 miles since new. The screw holding the mounting collar to the distributor shaft was still tight; however, the plastic body of the rotor was no longer rigidly attached to the collar, and I could wobble the rotor side to side a little bit.

The spark contacts in the distributor cap had some black marks that I rubbed off a little with some 1000 grit sandpaper. I put in another new BWD rotor that I had already purchased, and on the way to the parts store i noticed some power in third on the highway that I had been missing recently.

The slight wobble in the rotor turned me off, so . . .

Now Trying the Intermotor Cap and Rotor

In the parking lot at Advance Auto Parts, I installed an Intermotor cap with brass connections (C707) and an Intermotor rotor (D698). The width of the cap spark contacts was significantly narrower than in the Airtex distributor cap, and it fit tightly on the distributor body. It would not seat all the way until I tightened down the three mounting screws. I had to insert the spring contact peg for the coil into the Intermotor cap. It was loose in the box.

I bought a new distributor cap because, for some reason, I think I should use matching brand names and part grades. I may put the Airtex cap back on later.

Intermotor Rotor Has Ridges Under the Screw

The Intermotor rotor has the same kind of ridges under the mounting screw as the BWD rotor, so I'm fairly sure the screw will not fall off. Intermotor and BWD are part of the same corporation according to the packaging.

Return to “Engine/Transmission”