89 Transmission Rebuild Questions

Engine and tranny related questions or discussions...

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
gtpilot
G1 n00b

89 Transmission Rebuild Questions

Postby gtpilot » July 6th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Been a while sine I have been on here (must mean that the car ran well for a long time?) but alas my daughter took it upon herself to shell the clutch on my CRX - it is an 87 Si with an 89 Integra swap in it. In the process she destroyed the pressure plate and friction disk (don't ask me how) so I decided to take the transmission apart and rebuild it while I waited on the new flywheel/pressure pate/friction disc.

I ordered a rebuild kit - http://www.americanpowertrainwarehouse.com/honda-a2-acura-cg-transmission-rebuild-kit-with-synchro-rings-fits-85-89-bk238ws/ - and I have taken everything apart, cleaned it like it was new and am starting the reassembly. One of the reasons for opening it up was that I had a Quaife LSD sitting about that fits these transmissions (I race a tube frame CRX that uses this same drivetrain...but it has a straight cut gear box in it and it is much easier to work on, so mechanically inclined, I am). I got the Quaife fitted with the ring gear, speedo gear and new bearings and it drops in with any clearance issues.

I changed all of the other bearings/seals in the transmission case halves and then Murphy came along...I went to go change the bearing that is on the Input Shaft. I use my snap ring pliers, got the 50mm snap ring off and then I expected the shim washer to slide off...should it not? It feels like it has free play if I push it side to side but it will not budge - it is firmly against the inner race of the shaft bearing. Is this a press on piece? The factory FSM doesn't address assembly/disassembly of this bearing - only checking the clearance between the snap ring and washer. Any thoughts?

The other question relates to the input shaft as well - shouldn't the 3rd/4th gear synchro hub slide off the mainshaft? I can see that it is splined on the shaft/hub, but it sill not budge...there's no changing the synchro if that doesn't come apart.

I don't mind putting things in a press or using a bearing puller if that is what needs to be done - but somehow something doesn't seem right?

Thanks for your help.

Kirk

d16a3teg
Legit G1Tegger

Re: 89 Transmission Rebuild Questions

Postby d16a3teg » July 9th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Not sure on the input shaft bearing.....on the 3rd/4th gear synchro I removed mine with a rubber mallet - a few solid taps and it wiggled off.
70 N360
86 Integra SX16
88 CRX Si
90 Integra LS Vtec
03 MDX
08 Subaru Outback

Topic Author
gtpilot
G1 n00b

Postby gtpilot » July 9th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Thanks for the reply - I am cracking the case on another CG transmission that I have so I can compare them. I am nervous as I see a bit of wear on the 3/4 shift fork...so if the other Main Shaft is the same from the 2nd gear box, I will feel better. If it is different, at least I have spare parts?

Topic Author
gtpilot
G1 n00b

Postby gtpilot » July 10th, 2016, 8:12 pm

Not wanting to post a question with out leaving an answer...

I pulled apart another CG transmission and the 3/4 synchro hub slid right off of that input shaft. Pulled the snap ring on the ISB and that bearing was held tights as well, so I went back to my original Input Shaft to see about getting it apart.

I started a deep reach bearing puller and the 3/4 synchro hub came off with ease, evidently it was just tighter than the other input shaft. Put the input shaft in a press and started on the ISB and it indeed is a press fit, and the root of the gear that is cut onto the input shaft runs underneath the inner race of the ISB. When I got the bearing off and felt the surface there were lots of little sharp edges from the overcut for the root of the gear (pic). The new bearing pressed back on pretty straight forward and I am now proceeding with putting the rest of the transmission back together.

Thanks for the replies.

d16a3teg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby d16a3teg » July 19th, 2016, 6:41 am

Nice work and thanks for posting the result
70 N360
86 Integra SX16
88 CRX Si
90 Integra LS Vtec
03 MDX
08 Subaru Outback

Topic Author
gtpilot
G1 n00b

Postby gtpilot » July 22nd, 2016, 2:12 pm

Glad to help! I should contribute to the group if I am asking questions...right? :shock:

fisherman13
G1 n00b

Postby fisherman13 » February 12th, 2017, 10:14 pm

I saved that link to the rebuild kit thanks for that! I have another trans I'd like to go through for a good spare.

Return to “Engine/Transmission”