engine tear down pics

Engine and tranny related questions or discussions...

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
kablammyman
G1 n00b

engine tear down pics

Postby kablammyman » June 15th, 2015, 1:34 pm

So, I'm in a slow process to rebuild my enigne...or maybe get another one. Anyway, i needed my engine stand for my ka motor so i had to disassemble the d16.

Now, the motor was sitting on the stand for a lil over 1 year (this happened june 7 2014). I dont know how it died, I just know that as i was driving my son home (i was on the free way, cruisin'), the engine sputtered then turned off. Right before that, I car was acting funny. It was hard to start it 10 minutes earlier, and it was really down on power. So, I coast off the free way, and theres some smoke under the hood. Since its been so long, i dont remember if there was a lil or a lot of smoke. Anyway, i popped the hood and saw that 3 out of the 4 spark plug boots were covered in oil. I then had her towed home, pulled the engine the next day, and figured I would slowly rebuild the motor and fix a lot of lil annoying issues in the interior as well. Anyway, here are the pics. For the record, the block seemed fine, i think something happened to the head. Maybe it cracked or warped some how? I saw this because the arp studs did not want to come out of the head...a few are still stuck in there!

the day following the death

a year later, lol

the head was really stock on there, so, i used the jack to help pry it off. it turns out that it was not stuck onto the block but stuck with the head studs in place. I didnt have to remove the studs to remove the head before.

the head is off...

oil pan was clean...no metal or anything

the cylinder walls looked...OK i guess. some scoring, but i could still see the cross hatch pattern. I really cant tell tho

pistons, same as block. Theya re all oily from flippinp the motor around as well as from the ehad removal

bearing...all the bearings looking something like this

crank

So, there you have it. I may need a new head or a whole new engine. I'll have to wait until my 240 is rollin' again.
The tallest G1 teg driver PERIOD!
87 RS-T (Kasumi) Welcome back old friend
(t3 turbo, custom manifold, custom exhaust, custom tune, ZC cams, big brake kit, koni reds, suspension techniques rear sway, 27mm t-bars, GC coil overs)
89 LS-T (Akane) R.I.P.

I seem to be the one of the few with an 87 teg!

evtsteward
Site Admin & Crunkass Teg Mechanic

Re: engine tear down pics

Postby evtsteward » June 22nd, 2015, 9:13 pm

Bet your piston oil drain holes behind the oil scraper rings are clogged. Rebuilt mine for 800 bucks in parts and labor. Runs great now.
Robert, that crazy guy with all the tegs!
Always an honor to be quoted.-B18Ch1ck
The great ships hung in the air in much
the same way bricks don't.-Douglas Adams

The value of life can be measured by how many
times your soul has been deeply stirred.-Soichiro Honda

Topic Author
kablammyman
G1 n00b

Postby kablammyman » August 7th, 2015, 5:02 pm

I brought the engine to a machine shop this morning. They are already saying the crank is prob no good...some crud got in the bearings and scratched everything up good. They ill look at it, the block, and the head today and let me know details. I was half way expecting to have to pull a junk yard motor anyway.

[EDIT]

I forgot to mention, the machine shop is speculating that that the arp head studs that were stuck in the head (they could move in and out, but i couldn't remove them from the head) because the seat for the nut got mushroomed a bit...so there's a lil lip preventing a few studs from coming out.

I had the original arp d16a1 head stud kit that DID NOT use the washers. Well, let that be a lesson for you. Get the correct kit that can use washers!
(t3 turbo, custom manifold, custom exhaust, custom tune, ZC cams, big brake kit, koni reds, suspension techniques rear sway, 27mm t-bars, GC coil overs)
89 LS-T (Akane) R.I.P.

Topic Author
kablammyman
G1 n00b

Postby kablammyman » August 17th, 2015, 8:21 pm

I got a call from the machine shop, and they let me know that the engine is trashed and its better to start with another one. I kinda knew this would be the case, the question is if i should go b-series or not. I originally decided to stay d-series because i couldn't get the obd1 conversion to work properly but more importantly, the cool b-series motors are waaaaay over priced!!! 3k for a 1.8 liter motor from the 90s? no thanks! We are getting into LSX territory for that price! With that said, here are my options.

1) If obd1 is still not gonna happen, i can go with an obd0 b-series motor (prob the same price from the junk yard as a d-series) and try to mix and match parts to make a "cool" hybrid b-seires motor (pistons from here, cams from there, block from over there, etc)

2) I can try to get the harness from a newer integra since the motor is out, and make it work with my g1. This will allow me to use an obd1 motor for sure. (or get the conversion to work for real, not sure why it didnt work last time tho)

3) get another d16a1, and continue with the plan to use forged rods and pistons, and keep my current set up

No matter what motor I use, I'm gonna boost it, but if I go b-series, there's a lot more work involved, but it could b better int he long run.

What are your thoughts?
89 LS-T (Akane) R.I.P.

kapriollkp
G1 n00b

engine tear down pics

Postby kapriollkp » November 12th, 2016, 8:08 pm

The idea was to create a semi-stable engine. Before engine freeze, manufactures could introduce a new engine in every GP if they wanted to.

Return to “Engine/Transmission”