new old car problems.

Engine and tranny related questions or discussions...

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
gnomepunter
G1 n00b

new old car problems.

Postby gnomepunter » May 8th, 2015, 1:44 am

Ok I just bought another 1st gen teg.this one is an 87 its flat black.scored it for $800.the guy said it had a bad hesitation to it(well that was an understatement lol)when it idles it skips and stutters.when you try to go from a stop you had better not give it more than about 1/4 pedal or it will fall flat on its face.when you get up to highway speed(takes quite a while)it will still stutter and refuse to go if you give it more than half throttle.well i checked the flash code light on the ecm it was showing 1 I found out that was for the upstream 02 sensor.so i unplugged it.still runs rough no change.I put my timing light on the engine.well the first thing I noticed was that the light would not keep a constant tempo.it would flash constant and pause flash constant and pause.this has me thinking it is an ignition issue.from what I can tell the guy has put a new distributor cap and ignitor on it.could this be a coil?or maybe an ecm?

evtsteward
Site Admin & Crunkass Teg Mechanic

Re: new old car problems.

Postby evtsteward » May 8th, 2015, 9:16 pm

Check that the bayonets on the igniter are tight. They loosen over time and even if he put a new igniter on the connections might be loose or he slid the connectors on the sides of the bayonets. Check your timing, change your 02 sensor. Does your fuel pump prime and hum consistantly? When was your fuel filter changed last? Check your plugs and plug wire resistance and for connnection. Check your three wire ground next to the thermnostat housing for frayed or broken wires. Is the code 1 the only code it's thrown?
Robert, that crazy guy with all the tegs!
Always an honor to be quoted.-B18Ch1ck
The great ships hung in the air in much
the same way bricks don't.-Douglas Adams

The value of life can be measured by how many
times your soul has been deeply stirred.-Soichiro Honda

Topic Author
gnomepunter
G1 n00b

Postby gnomepunter » May 9th, 2015, 1:30 am

I checked the igniter and and checked all the screws in it just now.I decided to take the timing cover off and it was out my two teeth.I retimed it.it runs a little better but still has no get up.I also just noticed that when I floor it I hear a noise from under the car kind of like a real big air leak wonder if my cat could be clogged can that cause this.also checked to make sure the pulp comes on it does.and checked the grounds they have some rust on them but they have a good tight connection.

Topic Author
gnomepunter
G1 n00b

Postby gnomepunter » May 9th, 2015, 1:31 am

I am hoping that the cams being off by two teeth I don't have a bent valve.

evtsteward
Site Admin & Crunkass Teg Mechanic

Postby evtsteward » May 11th, 2015, 12:39 pm

Well, that could of been a big part of your problem. Hopefully not any damage. Need to do a leak down test.
Robert, that crazy guy with all the tegs!
Always an honor to be quoted.-B18Ch1ck
The great ships hung in the air in much
the same way bricks don't.-Douglas Adams

The value of life can be measured by how many
times your soul has been deeply stirred.-Soichiro Honda

Return to “Engine/Transmission”