Engine Diagnostics

Engine and tranny related questions or discussions...

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
drag13honda

Engine Diagnostics

Postby drag13honda » December 8th, 2017, 2:39 am

Hello all,

I have an '87 LS I've been working on. When I bought it, it wasn't getting any fuel. I put a new fuel pump and main relay and ECU I had laying around in the car. It starts up and runs now. However, when I start it and let it run for a bit (after it idles down) it runs rough, sputters, and acts like it wants to die. Honestly, I haven't spent a lot of time trying to diagnose it yet, so it may be something obvious. I just thought I would check in and get some ideas of what to look at next, or what might possibly be the answer. Let me know if you have any ideas or have dealt with a similar issue.

Thanks.

Topic Author
drag13honda

Re: Engine Diagnostics

Postby drag13honda » December 14th, 2017, 11:32 pm

Bump. Any ideas for me?

87g1teger
Legit G1Tegger

Postby 87g1teger » January 30th, 2018, 11:31 pm

getting any dtcs? check engine light on?
Use the "View Active Topics" button on the main page to see what's going on..
"Bro, I only have two hands and one dick. I could only put in one mouth at a time." - Jon Martin
Hacking up your Hondas and Acuras Since 05'!

Bag
Site Admin

Postby Bag » February 5th, 2018, 1:10 pm

drag13honda wrote:Hello all,

I have an '87 LS I've been working on. When I bought it, it wasn't getting any fuel. I put a new fuel pump and main relay and ECU I had laying around in the car. It starts up and runs now. However, when I start it and let it run for a bit (after it idles down) it runs rough, sputters, and acts like it wants to die. Honestly, I haven't spent a lot of time trying to diagnose it yet, so it may be something obvious. I just thought I would check in and get some ideas of what to look at next, or what might possibly be the answer. Let me know if you have any ideas or have dealt with a similar issue.

Thanks.

If you are referring to Ricky's old car, I have long suspected one of two things. One....likely related to the vacuum advance distributor system. Two....the engine was rebuilt by several people who were unfamiliar with G1 tegs and they could have changed something. I think they may have milled the head during the rebuild....if so, perhaps they didn't change gasket thicknesses to compensate for reduced height.....just a wild guess. Ricky should be able to tell you more about what he had done.
Randy

Telling it like it is.....since 1977
Owner / Administrator http://www.g1teg.org
My black 88 Special Edition

Topic Author
drag13honda

Postby drag13honda » February 7th, 2018, 4:22 am

Yessir, I am talking about Ricky's car. Honestly speaking, I haven't spent a lot of money on getting it running yet. About midyear 2017 I lost my job due to the owner deciding to close the doors. After that, I ended up finding a job (long story short) that didn't end up being what I was promised. I was barely getting enough hours to survive, let alone work on the teg. I finally found a job that I think will be a little more stable, which means I'll finally be able to start buying parts again, and start trying to get all of the issues ironed out. Randy, so Ricky was having this problem while it was still running?

I do believe the check engine light was on, I don't really recall at this moment. When it fired up under it's own power and ran, I wasn't focusing enough on the gauge cluster (more celebrating the victory). I'll fire it up again and see if the CEL comes on or not.

I'm glad to see some more life on the forum, I was beginning to think we had become a complete ghost town. This weekend, if i have some time to work on it, I'll get her started back up and report back with more info.

Bag
Site Admin

Postby Bag » February 10th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Yeah. After rebuild it was never quite as good as before. Car needs work but its got potential to be real nice..
Randy

Telling it like it is.....since 1977
Owner / Administrator http://www.g1teg.org
My black 88 Special Edition

Return to “Engine/Transmission”