ZDDP content of originally specified motor and manual transmission oil

Engine and tranny related questions or discussions...

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
trent
G1 n00b

ZDDP content of originally specified motor and manual transmission oil

Postby trent » March 8th, 2017, 5:55 pm

The originally specified type of motor oil was oil meeting API SF or SG specifications. The originally specified oil for the manual transmission was API SE or SF.

The API specification for oil sold in stores today is SN.

In recent years I have been noticing my valves needing more adjustment when I check them every 15000 miles. After reading about the declining ZDDP content in progressively newer API motor oil standards, I have decided to start adding Rislone Engine Oil Treatment to API SN motor oil before filling the manual transmission or the engine crankcase. ZDDP is an anti-wear additive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0075559 ... ref=plSrch

The instructions on the bottle say to add one bottle per oil change, but it does not say for what size engine.

The Material Safety Data Sheet for the Rislone Engine Oil Treatment states that the exact percentage content is withheld as a trade secret. I suspect the ideal amount to add for each oil change cannot be determined without some scientific testing of each bottle purchased. There must be some other manufacturer of this type of additive that will be honest about how much ZDDP the product contains.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/zddp.htm

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/restoratio ... d_old_cars

http://www.classiccarmotoroil.com/articles.html

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/10/1 ... r-engines/
Last edited by trent on May 5th, 2017, 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

gtpilot
G1 n00b

Re: ZDDP content of originally specified motor and manual transmission oil

Postby gtpilot » March 9th, 2017, 10:12 pm

It looks like for pre-1997 it is a full bottle to 5 quarts?

Topic Author
trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » April 5th, 2017, 12:44 am

For diesel engines the label says one 11 oz. bottle per 5 quarts, but for gasoline engines it says one bottle "per oil change".

I haven't been getting less than 32 miles per gallon much since I started using this ZDDP supplement. Before I was getting less than 30 miles per gallon--most frequently 28 or 29. I keep a log book of all fuel I use.

Since learning how an insurance replacement rental 2016 Mini Cooper with an automatic accelerates when the cruise control speed setting is set higher in Sport, Normal and Green modes, I have been letting my Integra motor rumble along at lower RPMs more than before, but I'm having a hard time believing the extra ZDDP is not giving a big part of the gas mileage improvement.

Does anyone care to try using the oil supplement being careful to drive the same way before and after?

Topic Author
trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » May 5th, 2017, 4:24 am

I detect some skepticism in the only reply to my thread.

Here is another article about ZDDP in oil and old cars without roller bearing cam followers (i.e., flat tappet cams):

https://www.motorists.org/blog/warning- ... carefully/

I added about 5 ounces from an 11 ounce bottle of the Rislone supplement to my manual transmission recently. I burped out some of the oil in the gearbox through the filler plug hole by turning the right front wheel hub repeatedly in the forward direction. I used a funnel that came with a long hose to pour in the Rislone from above. I bought it a long time ago for filling the transmission like that.

I replaced the big crush washer on the transmission filler plug. I keep a supply of crush washers from Acura in different sizes for that filler plug, the engine and transmission oil drain plugs, and the engine block coolant drain plug which uses the same washer as the gasoline tank drain plug should I ever need one of those.

I was able to pour an entire 11 ounce bottle of Rislone into a newly opened five quart container of 5W30 Castrol conventional oil. The Castrol jug said it met the SN API specification. I used that mixture of oil and Rislone when I changed the motor oil the day before.

I have read comments saying that ZDDP in the motor oil gets used up as a motor runs. I will be listening for the increase in valve rocker tapping noises around 5500 miles that I have usually heard when using motor oil with the SN API specification without adding Rislone; however, a cold engine seems to make more valve rocker noise in the winter than in the summer which comes up next.

All4AMD

Postby All4AMD » May 10th, 2017, 1:14 am

I wouldn't mess with the chemistry of motor oil. If you really want a stout oil look for the new API CK-4 5w40 diesel oils. They can be ran longer as they has a much higher starting TBN.
2002 VW Jetta TDI

Topic Author
trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » November 15th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Update: It's colder now, and I think there is less valve rocker noise than before using the ZDDP supplement.

The oil has a familiar odor after adding the ZDDP--like oil used to smell in my younger days. It's strong, so I added only half a bottle to a five quart jug of oil when I changed the oil recently. The exhaust when the engine is cold also seems to have a stronger odor with the ZDDP supplement.

I haven't adjusted the valves yet. My better gas mileage might be due to placebo effects that cause me to drive differently.

Return to “Engine/Transmission”