Monica

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
247christian
Legit G1Tegger

Monica

Postby 247christian » May 12th, 2013, 5:43 am

So since the site crashed i never put my teg back up so let me start from the beginning till now..
Long story short got my white 89 rs for free from my dads ex back in 2010.
White 89 rs ,105,xxx , straight body , no rust

then i torn out the blue interior, added a sway bar, and threw on some spare wheels for auto x

Then i lowered her on ground controls with 27.5mm Upgraded Motoring Torsion bars and added Jdm tail lights and front corner Jdm lights

After that i wanted more power and since my f2b swap fail so last min i went b20b with a b17 cable tranny, and DC 4-1 header. I also tucked the brake lines and wire harness.

Then after some junk yard finds and some new rims my car became this..
Oem louver
Oem 2-Door Visors
Oem Hood bra also have full bra aswell
SSR Ex-C Fins 15x6.5 4x100 but there sold now :cry:
Evo Black/blue Recaros
Shorten Koni yellows by 4 inches
Ground control coilovers
St Sway rear sway bar

Then i completely stripped my car and somewhat lost interest since i picked up 2 more tegs. A black 88 ls and a white 4-door 87 teg.

Then She became a trailer queen and got stored in different places. (Thanks to the ppl who stored my car means alot)

So from 2011 to May of 2013 shes just been rotting away. So now that my teg is back home i have some big plans for her.
So today is 5/11/13 and im in full effect of getting my teg back on the road for the track.
Now ill just post pics of the parts i have that ill be installing on my teg.
First lets start with her heart.
85 jdm dohc zc i got from the junkyard (Thanks To Mr.NWClassic aka Danny Carlson for telling me not to pass up on the zc)

Engine is currently being tore down and getting all new Beck/Arnley gaskets but now ill move onto wire brushing the transmission to clean it up

So with the teg im starting with the bottom and working my way up to the swap. And from the rear to the front.
Pacesetter Exhaust that i found at the junkyard a while ago.
Rear suspension for the teg
Koni Yellows
Ground Controls
Chedda J Rear Spring Adapter
Chedda J Rear Strut Bushings
Chedda J Rear Adj Pan Hard Bar
Energy Suspension Trail Arm Bushings not pictured but installed

Now with the front suspension....
Front Knoi Yellows
Upgraded Motoring 27.5mm Torsion Bars
Beck/Arnley Painted black Control Arms and Tie Rods
Energy Suspension Control Arm/ Sway Bar Bushings

Stock shock vs My koni

Old Tie rod vs New Beck/Arnley One (i painted it black so it wouldn't rust. Thanks to Silentsnow31802 aka Shaun Mahan for giving me the idea to paint them.)
Old Control Arm vs New One (i painted it aswell)
Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings
All installed 5/11/13

And Now to adding the key for the torsion bar
p.s. picked up my dremal for black friday and never used it till now but it sure did come in handy with the teg. :D

Tomorrow im going to clean up the engine bay a bit, install my T-bars and motor aswell

silentsnow31802
Legit G1Tegger

Re: Monica

Postby silentsnow31802 » May 12th, 2013, 5:52 am

Good stuff! Were both doing the same with the front end right now only your farther ahead of me lol. Dont forget to check the torsion bar tubes for keyways too. Turns out my subframe and torsion bar tubes both had keyways. Had to grind the keyway out of the tube because the previous owner didnt and just pounded the bars in damaging them.
Snow

Topic Author
247christian
Legit G1Tegger

Postby 247christian » May 12th, 2013, 6:04 am

Well im not using a manual rack.. Could find a manual rack in the yard from a civic so i just cut the bracket off and welded it on.. How much damage was done?? When i first installed tbars i didnt key them bcuz i didnt know :shock: i wonder if i have any damage.. How can you tell?? So i can inspect them tomorrow before install

silentsnow31802
Legit G1Tegger

Postby silentsnow31802 » May 12th, 2013, 6:24 am

247christian wrote:Well im not using a manual rack.. Could find a manual rack in the yard from a civic so i just cut the bracket off and welded it on.. How much damage was done?? When i first installed tbars i didnt key them bcuz i didnt know :shock: i wonder if i have any damage.. How can you tell?? So i can inspect them tomorrow before install

The keyways look alright but the ends of the bars were hammered on so hard to get them in that it mushroomed the ends out. I had to shave the end down to get it to fit properly and had to shave the groove for the retaining ring cause the metal was pushed into it so the ring wouldnt fit anymore.
Snow

89chondabrah
G1 n00b

Postby 89chondabrah » May 12th, 2013, 6:58 am

is it weird that when I read monica I read it as mooonicaaa and in ja rule's voice? :lol:
we have the technology- shitbox racing

Mr NW Classic
NW Classic Honda

Postby Mr NW Classic » May 12th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Thanks for the shout out! I love Monica as well! :D
"Your one stop shop for pre-1988 Honda/Acura parts"
206-940-8173 :D

72-87 Civic
84-87 CRX
86-89 Integra
79-87 Prelude
76-89 Accord

Topic Author
247christian
Legit G1Tegger

Postby 247christian » May 13th, 2013, 4:36 am

89chondabrah wrote:is it weird that when I read monica I read it as mooonicaaa and in ja rule's voice? :lol:

haha thats funny i thought of that too.

*Update* 5/12/13

So today i installed my T-bars and im pretty impressed on how easy it was. 27.5mm went it so smooth i barely had to hammer them in. But then again i probably did about 5 torsion bar installs so i feel like its just easy now.. I practiced at the junk yard before i actually done it on my car. i take tegs apart at the yard for fun sometimes 8-)

So after that i put the motor back together and installed all new Beck/Arnley gaskets from top to bottom. I also did my timing, adjusted my valves and installed my motor. Only bad thing was instead of reading trough my fsm manual i just googled the fly wheel torque specs and used a D-series thread i seen on HT. Dont really know what i was thinking but google seemed easier.. Anyways now after installing my motor i have to take the transmission back out and clutch to re torque the flywheel bolts from 76 footpounds to 86ftpd i believe. My manual is safe home in my garage right now... really sucks but i guess this is what i get for not checking the fsm manual first. Anyways heres some pics of the motor and it installed. I should have taken more pics but im working alone and my gloves get dirty and i dont like touching my phone while working on my car.

85 dohc zc
p29 intake manifold
No name headers from junk yard
6 puck un sprung act clutch

MugenBOI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby MugenBOI » May 13th, 2013, 4:59 pm

WOW I LOVE THIS CAR MAN !!!!!!!! this car( 247christian ) and specailTEGs are the ones that got me started on my baby ...Thanks guys and keep up the great work 247christian ..you have a SLAPPY CAR !!!!!i love how clean your wire tuck is amazing

silentsnow31802
Legit G1Tegger

Postby silentsnow31802 » May 17th, 2013, 1:53 am

Does that P29 manifold just bolt on no mods at all? Also wondering what throttle body is that? As far as I know P29 throttle bodies have the MAP sensor on top of them and yours doesnt seem to have one.
Snow

EhBrah

Postby EhBrah » May 17th, 2013, 9:29 am

Just wondering why people just don't grind the double spline down in the arm instead of making a groove in the bar. The material is a lot softer, less material to grind, then you can put the bar in any position. You can put a punch mark on the arm and end of the bar for reference.

What ever happened to the B20 setup and why did you remove it?
In the future, everything will work.

Topic Author
247christian
Legit G1Tegger

Postby 247christian » May 22nd, 2013, 6:59 am

MugenBOI wrote:WOW I LOVE THIS CAR MAN !!!!!!!! this car

Thanks man!

silentsnow31802 wrote:Does that P29 manifold just bolt on no mods at all? Also wondering what throttle body is that? As far as I know P29 throttle bodies have the MAP sensor on top of them and yours doesnt seem to have one.

Only mod i had to do was un screw 2 of the top intake screw threads and it bolts right up no problem. P29 intake manifolds allow you to run a new B/D-series throttle bodies. mines off a stock 92 -95 d16 civic from the yard.

EhBrah wrote:
What ever happened to the B20 setup and why did you remove it?

Had it for about 6 months and got tired of it.. pulled it out and sold it. well the motor keptd the b17 cable tranny.

Topic Author
247christian
Legit G1Tegger

Postby 247christian » May 29th, 2013, 5:59 am

******* UPDATE**** 5/28/13
So i been away from the computer for a while so i havent uploaded any more pics and where im at now. So Currently my teg is on the road and running now. She's running pretty good except for sometimes when im on the highway crusing in 5th gear she bogs down almost like she lost fuel.. but when i wait a sec and downshift she comes back alive like nothing happen.. Im not sure of the problem.. im thinking maybe i just need to get tuned.. Other then that she is good.

heres pics of me towing her to the muffler shop to weld a straight pipe where my cat was.

btw i didnt notice he hooked my rim untill i got the the muffler shop about 3 miles away so i complained and my tow was only $20 :D

Once i finally got to drive her back home from the muffler shop she drove really good. No better feeling after all that work into her.

Heres so pics of a quick beach run i did to see how far i could drive her. drove 100 miles no problem but did bog down like 4 times ...

i also installed my mugen wing

Then took her on a drive to Honda for some parts

She is slowly getting there. Im planning on getting an hooked smog soon and also a tune just to see what my numbers are like even though its just a stock 85 zc motor

Mikakey
Legit G1Tegger

Postby Mikakey » August 16th, 2014, 11:41 am

Great build man. You have a real nice car. I like all the rare OEM goodies you have too.
I can't believe you think torsion bar installs are easy :P. I did it once and never wanna do it again.
And I don't mean any offence but how did you get tired of the b20 when it makes more power? And did you ever think about putting a VTEC head on it? That really makes them come to life!

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
Blue 1987 Integra
B20VTEC with Stage 2 Exedy clutch and lightweight flywheel, DC headers, custom exhaust with APEXi muffler, and Hondata S300 tune.
Upgrade Motoring 27.5mm torsion bars with KYB GR-2s and B&G rear springs.

Return to “1989 RS Models”