New member with 1988 LS.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
kwint
G1 n00b

New member with 1988 LS.

Postby kwint » November 15th, 2015, 7:39 am

I was driving a del sol, and then it got stolen. I had money saved up to fix up the del sol but yeah, so I had to find something good with a small budget. Found this beauty at a dealership, and considering how crappy the used car market is, I'm fairly satisfied with this purchase. Look forward to rebuilding the knowledge base with all of you.

Topic Author
kwint
G1 n00b

Re: New member with 1988 LS.

Postby kwint » November 23rd, 2015, 6:33 am

Finally got it put on a lift. I don't have a garage, but there is a place nearby that allows you to rent out a garage bay with a lift. Changed the oil, and put some new wheels on. Pulled the plugs, and nothing out of the ordinary. I thought I had bad shocks in the rear because the original wheels were off balance and I was hearing this clunking sound in rhythm with the off balance tires.

But the rear shocks are actually GR2's, so now I'm wondering if I should return the shocks I bought. Also having a hunting idle problem. Squeezing the pcv valve hose didn't seem to do anything, and didn't have any carb cleaner on hand, so I'll have to wait. Car rolls perfect now though.

thebranded

Postby thebranded » November 28th, 2015, 6:50 am

Hi and welcome, good to see some new members , things a bit quiet over here, most have moved to facebook i think ( i have yet too)
being able to rent out garage space is a neat option and a lift is great!

Just cause the rears are GR2's does not mean they have not blown, so test them out before returning the new ones you got. I've learnt to live with my hunting idle, after a coolant change couple years back i never got rid of it. not that i've tried everything.
Rover 416i aka Honda aka Acura

Suspension: Illumi's all round, 24mm torsions (waiting to be installed) Cusco front strut bar
Intake: K&N Drop in filter
Exhurst: 2" SS 75% parts aquired.

Topic Author
kwint
G1 n00b

Postby kwint » November 29th, 2015, 11:46 am

thebranded wrote:Hi and welcome, good to see some new members , things a bit quiet over here, most have moved to facebook i think ( i have yet too)
being able to rent out garage space is a neat option and a lift is great!

Just cause the rears are GR2's does not mean they have not blown, so test them out before returning the new ones you got. I've learnt to live with my hunting idle, after a coolant change couple years back i never got rid of it. not that i've tried everything.

Thank you for the welcome. I decided to keep the shocks, and I plan on ordering new mounts with spring insulators. Also, I talked a mechanic on justanswer, and he provided me with a service bulletin about a bad evap cannister. Here is the bulletin.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104 ... v%2028.pdf

And here is the car on the 3g prelude si wheels.

MinkelR
Site Admin

Postby MinkelR » December 10th, 2015, 11:53 pm

Hondas are infamous for their hunting idles. You may just need to clean out your idle control valve (held in with 2 bolts behind the intake manifold). Soak it in some brake cleaner, replace the figure 8 seal, and bleed the cooling system. Normally fixes mine when it starts acting up.
1987 Acura Integra LS (Rest in Pieces)
1989 Acura Integra LS Daily Driver
1992 Mazda 323 (Sold)

Topic Author
kwint
G1 n00b

Postby kwint » December 21st, 2015, 9:43 am

It turns out it was the thermostat being stuck open. Ever since I replaced it and it fully warms up, the idle problem as been solved.

Return to “1988 LS Models”