Auto Tranny Potential repair/replacement options?

Share any reviews, good and bad, about various parts for the G1. Suspension pieces, engine bits, etc.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Re: Auto Tranny Potential repair/replacement options?

Postby VAPRAI » May 31st, 2014, 5:09 am

86-87 or 88-89?

Either way car-part.com is a good source for locating donor transmissions near you but if you are running an 86-87 you can swap to the slightly stronger 88-89 auto transmission. Did that a while back, got some good insight from evtsteward here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=234

Expect to have to tear through at least a couple of donors before finding enough usable parts to have one working rebuild. Been there and done that a couple of times now.

VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » May 31st, 2014, 7:28 pm

I have had the car since new in 1986.
First transmission rebuild was after about 100k in 1995
Then a second rebuild was at about 215k in 2007
Always did the proper fluid changes once a year.

The first rebuild basically had everything broken replaced with new Honda parts that were still easily available then.
The second rebuild was new parts from where I could find them but mostly parts were sourced from scrapped transmissions in salvage yards. Seal and rubber rebuild kits are still available new.

After I had gear damage and a collapsed drum a couple years ago at about 260k I opted for the 88-89.
Weight is pretty much about the same when all is said and done.
In my case I still ended up using the passenger side axle that came with a rebuild kit for that transmission.
Perhaps not necessary but it still fit in.
Biggest difference is the external vs internal solenoid. At first I wired up a switch as stated in the other thread but a transmission whiz friend of mine figured out how to wire up the external solenoid to the same connection used by the 86-87 solenoid. The lock up solenoid is only necessary at high freeway speeds.

Rebuilding your stock 87 AT is possible but difficult if you don't have a clean source of donor transmissions.
In my situation I had a bad third gear really causing problems among other things and I just could not find enough usable parts from various 86-87 transmissions. The 88-89 was much more prevalent as I believe it has much commonality with the 88-91 Civic and CRX transmissions which my local salvage yards had much more inventory on. The 86-87 transmission has some commonality with the 84-87 Civic and CRX AT but those are also hard to locate. If you can't locate one complete I would contact some transmission shops near you and see what they can do to either source parts or a complete one that can be shipped in to you.

VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » May 31st, 2014, 7:36 pm

sciconf wrote:BTW, I am in San Jose, CA area. Is it hard for me to find one - I can not rebuild - so i need to find a complete one.

Nothing anywhere near you on car-part
Probably best to contact a local transmission shop who might have more leads to local sources.
Car-part is only a small fraction of what is really out there.

VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » May 31st, 2014, 9:57 pm

If you wire up the solenoid to a switch in the dash, etc.. then you only need to activate the switch when you are shifted up at high speed. evtsteward had a good description of it in the second post of the thread I linked above. A mechanic with automatic transmission experience would know exactly what this is.

Maintaining the automatic transmission in these cars is an expensive and usually frustrating endeavor as parts get harder and harder to locate. Any salvage transmission you find is going to almost always be heavily used and probably broken as well so it boils down to harvesting enough usable parts from one or more donors in combination with your existing transmission to make one working unit.

Photos of my car are in the G1 Teg Registry section, under 1986 RS.

VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » May 31st, 2014, 10:12 pm

Yes, later I did get it wired like that but it's best to test with a switch first before cutting into the existing wiring.

VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » June 3rd, 2014, 6:42 am

Unfortunately I was not the one to do it personally and I don't have any specific information.
All I know is he said there was much trial and error involved and followed the wiring diagram in the service manuals for both 86-87 and 88-89 to figure it out.

Return to “Part Reviews”