Cusco Strut Tower Brace 306 510 A; also DC Sports Brace

Share any reviews, good and bad, about various parts for the G1. Suspension pieces, engine bits, etc.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

thebranded

Re: Cusco Strut Tower Brace 306 510 A; also DC Sports Brace

Postby thebranded » May 7th, 2014, 4:57 am

Great review!

Regardingthe wiper cover, i would have cut the plastic cover instead of hte mounting plate, fortuneately for sincemine s RHD i had no such issue.

I totally agree that the tegs need a struct brace. driving feels more nimble.

Also an old pic of mine, but i'd like to see pics of your installation

Rover 416i aka Honda aka Acura

Suspension: Illumi's all round, 24mm torsions (waiting to be installed) Cusco front strut bar
Intake: K&N Drop in filter
Exhurst: 2" SS 75% parts aquired.

thebranded

Postby thebranded » May 7th, 2014, 5:57 am

Thanks for the spot! I’ll see how mine fit, maybe that is why i did not have any issues with the wiper motor!?

Btw your images need to have the ".jpg" in the url
Rover 416i aka Honda aka Acura

Suspension: Illumi's all round, 24mm torsions (waiting to be installed) Cusco front strut bar
Intake: K&N Drop in filter
Exhurst: 2" SS 75% parts aquired.

trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » March 5th, 2015, 5:21 am

My original post was deleted during some g1teg.org system maintenance. Here is some information and the pictures I posted before.

The Cusco Strut Tower Brace (306 510 A) is available from heeltoeauto.com:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/cusco-front- ... 0-a.2.html
The Cusco brace is very solid when leaning on it. The adjustalbe screw in the center with two locking nuts does not weaken the structure of the brace. The Cusco brace is made for the Japanese market and the packaging says it is not for use in other countries. It is my first JDM part. [!]

The DC Sports brace is not stocked new anywhere. It flexes easily when pulling it up and down in the center, but the forces are mostly side to side and only up and down to the extent of the shallow angle on the ends of the brace.

After removing the shock tower bracket nuts, two washers are visible embedded in some kind of putty. I left those four washers there and bought four new metric M8 washers to use between the brace the original nuts, if I remember the size correctly. As seen in the first and second pictures there was plenty of room on the bolt for the extra clearance needed for the extra washers and the brace mounting plate.

Here are hacksaw cuts to eliminate interference with the wiper motor cover. The first cut was at the angle that matched the bracket for the DC Sports brace. The second cut should have been the only cut made. It would have been 3/16 of an inch from the edge at the widest part, if I remember correctly, and at the angle that the wiper motor cover makes.

There is no obvious orientation for the short diagonal brace tubes. I'm in the USA, and I put them to the front of the car. In Australia, "thebranded" put them to the rear. A sticker already on the brace can be read right side up with the orientation that I used.

It might be argued that the front bolts will deflect more and should be connected to the bar that goes straight across to eliminate a bending force. The brace is so solid that such a bending force seems insignificant. This is not a three point brace that attaches to the firewall. A string tied taut between the firewall and the center of the brace and a video camera recording of the string during a slalom drive might show how much the brace bends. Does anyone have a GoPro with a thick handle bar mount?

Maybe "thebranded" did it the best way, but I'm leaving mine as it is because I don't want to make another hacksaw cut on the opposite end of the brace. The brace also seemed to line up with the bolts better, and I liked having the main bar further back over the intake plenum with "PGM-FI" framed nicely. Pushing a wire harness away a little was necessary. The motor looks nice naked without the covers and shields on modern cars.

AlexmenIsog
G1 n00b

Cusco Strut Tower Brace 306 510 A also DC Sports Brace

Postby AlexmenIsog » November 4th, 2016, 11:33 pm

That strut brace will not fit those cars unless you went with a smaller air cleaner. The original factory one are just too big to fit, sorry. I think the four-eyed foxes rule too Props on the Capri too, does it have the bubble rear window too?

trent
G1 n00b

Postby trent » November 6th, 2016, 8:58 pm

There seems to be a problem with posts appearing in the wrong threads. Anyway, read about the function of air intake resonators before "upgrading" them to those cone shaped air filters that will draw in hot air from the engine bay instead of cool air towards the front of the vehicle.

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/air- ... b49ffe3d1#

Return to “Part Reviews”