What is it called - right infront of the Distributor on the engine and uses identical O-ring?

Member submissions, commonly asked questions, how-tos on various projects, etc.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
ms2000
G1 n00b

What is it called - right infront of the Distributor on the engine and uses identical O-ring?

Postby ms2000 » July 1st, 2015, 1:41 am

When you look at the engine right before the Distributor - there is another assembly with another O-ring (identical ?) - there is minor oil leak from it.
I believe it houses a sensor.

I do not know the names? What is it called?

evtsteward
Site Admin & Crunkass Teg Mechanic

Re: What is it called - right infront of the Distributor on the engine and uses identical O-ring?

Postby evtsteward » July 1st, 2015, 12:30 pm

Cam Timer Sensor. Since we don't have a crank angle sensor we use this.
Robert, that crazy guy with all the tegs!
Always an honor to be quoted.-B18Ch1ck
The great ships hung in the air in much
the same way bricks don't.-Douglas Adams

The value of life can be measured by how many
times your soul has been deeply stirred.-Soichiro Honda

Topic Author
ms2000
G1 n00b

Re: What is it called - right infront of the Distributor on the engine and uses identical O-ring?

Postby ms2000 » July 1st, 2015, 9:58 pm

Someone told me to apply silicon sealant - I take it that it goes on the gasket?
Will the one below do - part # 82194 at Kragen?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... word=82194

Apparently, after using it, I should let it dry for 24hrs - this means, I might have to do it - is it just remove the 3 or so screws and put the new one and the sealant on the O-ring?

I searched online for videos or whatever but did not find any - know of any?

evtsteward
Site Admin & Crunkass Teg Mechanic

Postby evtsteward » July 2nd, 2015, 12:13 pm

If you were leaking oil from the cam cap area, all you should need is the large o-ring. If you're leaking from the three screw CTS cover plate then the internal smaller o-ring needs replaced and the cover gasket. The same applies to the distributor where the cam cap large o-ring stops the leak where the distributor mounts and the shaft of the distributor has a smaller o-ring to seal against oil getting inside the distrbutor. I would just use the blue gasket seal instead, that stuff is for trans and engine high torque areas. When you do the gasket put a small bead around the cover, then place in on the CTS, put the screws in but not all the way tight. Let the sealant set up for 30 minutes, then tighten the screws. Otherwise you will have a very thin gasket instead of a moderately thick one. :ugeek: Let us know how it goes. BTW, any of these o-rings are available in the off the rack multi-packs. ;)
Robert, that crazy guy with all the tegs!
Always an honor to be quoted.-B18Ch1ck
The great ships hung in the air in much
the same way bricks don't.-Douglas Adams

The value of life can be measured by how many
times your soul has been deeply stirred.-Soichiro Honda

Topic Author
ms2000
G1 n00b

Postby ms2000 » July 2nd, 2015, 8:24 pm

Thanks @evtsteward
Thanks for raising the important issue here - yeah it is difficult to know where the leak is - I am changing the smaller O-ring for now. It it does not fix it, then go for the bigger one.

Return to “FAQ/How-to/Articles”