How to: Install mud flaps up front with SE trim

Member submissions, commonly asked questions, how-tos on various projects, etc.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
aarongolesch
G1 n00b

How to: Install mud flaps up front with SE trim

Postby aarongolesch » December 11th, 2017, 1:18 am

Here's a write up of how to make stock mudflaps fit with the SE trim in. As many of you know, the SE trim interferes with front mudflaps, so unless you do some custom cutting and trimming (which is what this post is about), then you can't install it correctly...

NOTE!! -I used rear mudflaps for the front, which are a little different shaped than the fronts. So you need to use REAR mudflaps if you want the same results when following this write up.

What you will need:

Rear mudflaps
Tin snips
Side cutting pliers
Phillips Screw driver
Colored marker/sharpie
Sand paper
Tek screws (self drilling screws)
Drill
Drill bit (larger than 1/4")
Tape measure
Jack
Jack stands

So here's what my SE looks like as of now. I recently moved and my driveway has quite a bit of mud and dirt. So it is always spattering up on the doors. I didn't fee like washing my car every couple days because of this so I figured it's time to add some mudflaps to the front...

I picked up some SE rear mudflaps from the one and only Robert Dunias (Thanks again!)

As you can see here, the SE trim doesn't allow you to fit them in perfectly, so we need to cut some peices out.

So draw out a line of where to cut, and take your tin snips and start munching away down the line. You want to make sure you don't cut too far towards the inner part of the flap because you'll chew through it and will make the mudflaps flimsy. You ideally want it to still be all intact.

Once you finish cutting, you can clean them up a little bit with sand paper and side cutters to make it look a little prettier. You can see now they fit a lot more snug to the trim. I positioned the mudflaps so they butt up against the door trim.

Measure down 3 3/4" from the top of your mudflaps and drill a new hold through them so they will line up with the existing splash guard screw hole on the top. You won't be using the bottom screw hole, just the top one and you'll secure one more screw to the metal inside the wheel well (later on in the instructions)

The final step is putting a screw to the inside portion of the mudflap to hold it in place. This requires you to take the wheel off. Use small tek screws/self drilling and go right into the metal part of the wheel well

Once that is done, put the wheel back on and ta-da! You should be all set!

I wouldn't call it a "perfect" fit but I think it looks pretty nice. You can spend as much time as you want on doing this by bending and shaping the mudflaps to the body a little better.

87g1teger
Legit G1Tegger

Re: How to: Install mud flaps up front with SE trim

Postby 87g1teger » February 2nd, 2018, 8:46 pm

great write up! keep these intregras alive!
Use the "View Active Topics" button on the main page to see what's going on..
"Bro, I only have two hands and one dick. I could only put in one mouth at a time." - Jon Martin
Hacking up your Hondas and Acuras Since 05'!

87g1teger
Legit G1Tegger

Re: How to: Install mud flaps up front with SE trim

Postby 87g1teger » February 2nd, 2018, 8:46 pm

going to look for some for my SE.
Use the "View Active Topics" button on the main page to see what's going on..
"Bro, I only have two hands and one dick. I could only put in one mouth at a time." - Jon Martin
Hacking up your Hondas and Acuras Since 05'!

Return to “FAQ/How-to/Articles”