painting in the cold

Body, gauges, seats, spoilers, etc. Also electronics, audio, and detailing.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
qikteg
Legit G1Tegger

painting in the cold

Postby qikteg » July 1st, 2013, 10:41 pm

Has anyone done any respraying in the cold? bear in mind that i'm not looking for any showroom or concours finish, i just want it all to be one uniform colour for the moment - going through a re-registration, so i want it to present as clean as possible. i intend on using a rattle can or maybe even an electric spray gun - again, i realise that this is a backyard job, and my expectations are extremely low.

temperatures these days are topping out at about 20 degrees c (68F).

i was thinking of doing multiple, really thin coats, with some very light sanding inbetween...? and if i use the electric spray gun, thin the paint out more than recommended?

any thoughts would be good.

Miketakeahike
G1 n00b

Re: painting in the cold

Postby Miketakeahike » July 1st, 2013, 10:51 pm

I "Garage-painted" my rimms with a spray can last summer.
First sandblasted them to get rid of the original 1988 paint.
2 layers of paint and two layers of "clear-coat".
Letting it dry about half an hour in between.
Result today:

Babyblue Teg 1988 5D
"http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/Miketakeahike/library/Acura"
If you are a Yank beware, the rest of the world uses the metric system ;)

d16a3teg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby d16a3teg » July 4th, 2013, 7:57 am

Are you using an acrylic and thinner based evaporation process - if yes then be careful of blooming - the evaporation of the thinners lowers the base metals temperature and can cause the moisture in the air to be sucked into the upper layers of the paint causing fine white bubbles or a complete white ghosting in the paint. A big pain - so below about 15 degrees C you need to be careful. I had this happen on a resurface at home in the shed one evening - was just getting colder and bamm next clearcoat fogged up. Had to sand it all back and start again.
70 N360
86 Integra SX16
88 CRX Si
90 Integra LS Vtec
03 MDX
08 Subaru Outback

Biscuit
Legit G1Tegger

Postby Biscuit » July 4th, 2013, 9:08 am

My rule is that I do not paint anything when the air and object to be painted temps are below 52*F.
When spray painting from a can I like to warm the can before painting because the result is much smoother and even.
"If I had a nickle for every time that I buckled under pressure I would have five nickles."
Hank Hill

88RS RIP 9-1995 - 3-2006
89LS RIP 3-2006 - 9-2010
88SE FUN FUN FUN!!!

Topic Author
qikteg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby qikteg » July 4th, 2013, 10:14 pm

cool, thanks for the input guys... i'm going to give it a whirl over the next few weeks, maybe even attempt to spray some panels this weekend to see how it goes, its supposed to be unseasonably warm and sunny - yeah, acrylic and thinner combination, i've got some spare panels that i'll practice on first to get the mixture/consistency right, and i'll try warming it up first too, can't hurt.

i'll eventually wind up doing the whole thing again at a later stage, when i've got the time and the space to do it properly - this will likely coincide with some more serious body work.. but for the moment, i think this will do.

Return to “Interior/Exterior/ICE/Detailing”