Hatch Rust

Body, gauges, seats, spoilers, etc. Also electronics, audio, and detailing.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b

Hatch Rust

Postby g1_teg_lover » May 17th, 2013, 4:44 am

After spending a few months trying to find out where my mystery water kept coming from (to the point that after a storm last year I had to replace the ECU from water damage), I finally found it. The hatch seal on the body itself has rusted out in spots, and has started to spread toward the rear panels (in the lower seal, more-so toward the tail lights). I attempted to gently pull parts of the seal up off the metal lip it sits on, only to find that the rust has eaten sections of the lip so bad that it was coming up with the seal (and then crumbling apart).

I'm not really sure on how to fix the rust (due to the various bends that are in the area, cutting out and replacing is going to be tricky). Went to a few shops today to try to get estimates and only found one shop even that would try to repair it. Maaco told me that "they don't deal with rust repair unless it's surface rust" and that "it would cost less to buy another car". Bodyman's auto body gave me an estimate of $1100 after telling me the rust wasn't that bad, but to keep it from spreading, they'd have to replace the entire lower portion of the hatch opening. I'll post some pictures of the rusted areas tomorrow (after I pull out the panels and see how bad the issue is).

I hate seeing my teg suffer like this, but don't want to get rid of her as I've grown attached to her, but also can't afford the cost to have the rust replaced thanks to still being out of work.
Knowledge gets accumulated like resins in bongs.

Topic Author
g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b

Re: Hatch Rust

Postby g1_teg_lover » May 17th, 2013, 6:49 am

I'll have to get some pictures, it's kinda hard to describe the rust. I did notice that where some of the holes are, I can clearly see the mounting clips for the trim panels. Also where it is, is why I think it's going to need to be done by a shop. It's literally eating away the metal lip that the hatch seal mounts on (and some of the metal on the drain channels on either side).

silentsnow31802
Legit G1Tegger

Postby silentsnow31802 » May 17th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Mine has pretty bad rust near the hatch seal also. On both left and right sides it has eaten holes in the drain channel and on the bottom above the license plate the groove the seal sits in is basically rust.

For the sides my temporary fix was some weird rubber stuff we had at work. Came in a tube like caulk. Its some gnarly stuff once dried but it looks like TOTAL shit. It did stop the water from coming through that hole though.

I wasnt going to worry about it until came time to have the car painted. I pretty much assumed I would have to go to the junker and cut a chunk of metal out of a donor car for each piece to be repaired.
Snow

Topic Author
g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b

Postby g1_teg_lover » May 26th, 2013, 5:25 am

I'll have to see how the duct tape (you know the saying...) fix I did seems to hold up after I wash her. If it holds up, I'll take the hatch off, clean up the area good, and give a good spay of some "Flex Seal" to make the fix more enduring (not that I don't trust duct tape). Atleast then I'm not worrying about having my ECU get soaked again.

Driver's side hole:

Passenger Side hole:

Water level after the recent thunderstorms (after pulling the drain plugs and draining the water):

Before I pulled the plugs out, the water was just at the top of the hump. Thanks to the recent storms, i've also now got to remake the cover for the spare (word of advice, never make it out of particle board, that's the brown crap in the water, it crumbled when I picked it up).

Topic Author
g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b

Postby g1_teg_lover » May 27th, 2013, 5:00 am

Well the duct tape seems to be doing well for keeping water out. I pulled out the hose and soaked the hatch area (with hatch shut of course), mainly trying to flood the channels on the left and right. No wet spots were inside the car after a good 5 mins of hosing down the area, which is a good thing. Going to start stripping the rest of the interior out tomorrow (from rear seats to dashboard), so I can pull up the carpet to scrub the mildew smell out of it (then redye it black) and then redo the wiring for the power mirrors, amplifier, and move the controller for the power locks and the alarm system (behind my dash is cramped to hell from wiring).

AlexmenIsog
G1 n00b

Hatch Rust

Postby AlexmenIsog » November 23rd, 2016, 1:29 pm

Im looking for rust free Trueno hood and hatch in Houston TX.

Let me know if you have some. _

Return to “Interior/Exterior/ICE/Detailing”