Wiper issue + Dash lights.. related?

Body, gauges, seats, spoilers, etc. Also electronics, audio, and detailing.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
Aposiopesis
G1 n00b

Wiper issue + Dash lights.. related?

Postby Aposiopesis » May 8th, 2013, 1:14 am

First off: 89 teg LS, 5 door

So fairly recently (within the last couple months or two) my wipers have started acting funny on certain settings. On the intermittent setting or the windshield clean setting, the wipers don't return to position on their own--I have to hope I can switch them off before they pop back up again. However, they work just fine on the slow and fast settings. I was thinking switch or motor, but the next problem has me reconsidering...

A couple days ago, my battery light and headlight light have come on and stayed on (the lights pop . Given that this is fairly concurrent with the wiper problem I'm wondering if it's some sort of grounding issue somewhere, or if it's something as doofy and simple as a corroded or loose battery terminal.

Any ideas?

evtsteward
Site Admin & Crunkass Teg Mechanic

Re: Wiper issue + Dash lights.. related?

Postby evtsteward » May 8th, 2013, 12:35 pm

First off, the wipers appear to have a defective motor, which is where the return stop switch is located. I don't believe your steering wheel pod control is faulty as it is doing what it's supposed to.
Second, the battery light and headlight gauge warnings are a direct indication that the brushes in your alternator are worn out. Around here the Carquest Auto parts outlet can order you the brush kit, which includes the holder assy. This will allow you to just swap it out in the alternator with two screws and your done. The other method is to buy just the brushes and reuse the spring in the old housing and resolder them in place, which isn't worth saving the extra $15. So, your choice on that is $23 for the assy or $8 for the brushes. :ugeek:
Robert, that crazy guy with all the tegs!
Always an honor to be quoted.-B18Ch1ck
The great ships hung in the air in much
the same way bricks don't.-Douglas Adams

The value of life can be measured by how many
times your soul has been deeply stirred.-Soichiro Honda

silentsnow31802
Legit G1Tegger

Postby silentsnow31802 » May 8th, 2013, 5:37 pm

^ This exactly. I have had both issues and they're definitely separate. Replace the wiper motor and either the brushes in the alternator or the whole thing. I bought my wiper motor recently and I believe it was on closeout on rockauto.
Snow

Biscuit
Legit G1Tegger

Postby Biscuit » April 9th, 2015, 10:24 am

I have been suffering the same problems plus when I turn on the headlights the low beams do not work but the high beams work. When I cycle the high beam switch many times or turn the headlights on/off many times the low beams will work again. Sometimes the wipers will stop half way across the windshield or will not work at any speed. If I work the wiper switch in many different positions the wipers will work as normal.

I recently purchased a replacement headlight/wiper switch assembly that I hope will correct these problems.
"If I had a nickle for every time that I buckled under pressure I would have five nickles."
Hank Hill

88RS RIP 9-1995 - 3-2006
89LS RIP 3-2006 - 9-2010
88SE FUN FUN FUN!!!

evtsteward
Site Admin & Crunkass Teg Mechanic

Postby evtsteward » April 9th, 2015, 1:20 pm

All these hiccups point to the control arms on the steering. Keep us posted on what you find as a fix. Thanks.
Robert, that crazy guy with all the tegs!
Always an honor to be quoted.-B18Ch1ck
The great ships hung in the air in much
the same way bricks don't.-Douglas Adams

The value of life can be measured by how many
times your soul has been deeply stirred.-Soichiro Honda

Biscuit
Legit G1Tegger

Postby Biscuit » April 15th, 2015, 10:21 am

My problem is now fixed. I purchased a used combination switch from Aaron Lunsford and my problems are corrected.
"If I had a nickle for every time that I buckled under pressure I would have five nickles."
Hank Hill

88RS RIP 9-1995 - 3-2006
89LS RIP 3-2006 - 9-2010
88SE FUN FUN FUN!!!

Elwayphpy
G1 n00b

Wiper issue Dash lights related

Postby Elwayphpy » March 13th, 2016, 1:21 pm

i did the rear wiper delete and i have some stuff around the hole that i cant get off with window cleaner and elbow grease. what can i use?

AlexmenIsog
G1 n00b

Wiper issue Dash lights related

Postby AlexmenIsog » November 5th, 2016, 9:00 pm

Wanted to revive this older thread to see if there were any updates in the past 2 years.

Are the Densos still the wiper of choice?

Return to “Interior/Exterior/ICE/Detailing”