Compatible Alternator's

Body, gauges, seats, spoilers, etc. Also electronics, audio, and detailing.

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b

Compatible Alternator's

Postby g1_teg_lover » April 4th, 2013, 8:24 am

Anyone know if any other model honda's alternator will fit our tegs. Mine's about had it, and most parts places here are only carrying remanufactured (which is what i put in 3 years ago, and is now starting to have issues charging). I know the stock alternator is on the weak end to start with (55A @ 1800 rpm) and figured that it might be possible to get the alternator from another honda (preferably something 80A or higher).

After looking for hours trying to see if there was a way to use another model's alternator, I've managed to find that the 91-93 accord alternator looks to be a close match (can't really tell the difference in size from pictures). The Accord alternator puts out about 80A @ 1800rpm (45% increase). I also happened to come across a site (click here)which sells a 220A alternator (220A @ 1800rpm, 135A @ 800rpm) which fits our cars. That's a 300% increase in output current when compared to the original, but costs $549.00, way more then i'd be willing to pay :lol:
Knowledge gets accumulated like resins in bongs.

evtsteward
Site Admin & Crunkass Teg Mechanic

Re: Compatible Alternator's

Postby evtsteward » April 4th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Most auto parts stores only carry Beck-Arnley rebuilts and I've had decent luck with them. Unfortunately, they're only compatibility is just for g1tegs. can't find anything else that will claim to fit. :ugeek:
Robert, that crazy guy with all the tegs!
Always an honor to be quoted.-B18Ch1ck
The great ships hung in the air in much
the same way bricks don't.-Douglas Adams

The value of life can be measured by how many
times your soul has been deeply stirred.-Soichiro Honda

VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » April 4th, 2013, 6:16 pm

The 55-60A OEM range alternators are fine. Unless you are running some type of extreme audio setup or anything else that really drains electricity, you will not gain any improvement.

The 86-87 models do share some compatibility with alternators from certain 84-87 Civic models. Not sure if the 88-89 shares any commonality with other Honda alternators. As far as I know the plugs differ. You might be able to find one from a later model Civic or Accord that bolts up but the plug would have to be modified.

evtsteward
Site Admin & Crunkass Teg Mechanic

Postby evtsteward » April 4th, 2013, 6:33 pm

VAPRAI wrote:The 55-60A OEM range alternators are fine. Unless you are running some type of extreme audio setup or anything else that really drains electricity, you will not gain any improvement.

The 86-87 models do share some compatibility with alternators from certain 84-87 Civic models. Not sure if the 88-89 shares any commonality with other Honda alternators. As far as I know the plugs differ. You might be able to find one from a later model Civic or Accord that bolts up but the plug would have to be modified.

The compatibility listing only show the first gen integra as the only vehicle, Honda or otherwise. Looks like they stuck it to us. :x
Robert, that crazy guy with all the tegs!
Always an honor to be quoted.-B18Ch1ck
The great ships hung in the air in much
the same way bricks don't.-Douglas Adams

The value of life can be measured by how many
times your soul has been deeply stirred.-Soichiro Honda

Topic Author
g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b

Postby g1_teg_lover » April 4th, 2013, 6:54 pm

VAPRAI wrote:The 55-60A OEM range alternators are fine. Unless you are running some type of extreme audio setup or anything else that really drains electricity, you will not gain any improvement.

My stereo system isn't extreme at all, and the stock alternator even after replacing it 3 years ago could not handle it very well, unless the engine was rev'd to about 3000 rpm and held there. Currently running a 1000w amplifier (200w per channel) which is run off the battery with 2Ga wire through a 40A relay (to make sure there's no power draw when the car isn't running), still have the lights dim out badly at low volume with the brakes being pressed. Can't turn the stereo system up without having people think i'm flashing my lights at them :lol: .

VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » April 4th, 2013, 7:48 pm

g1_teg_lover wrote:My stereo system isn't extreme at all, and the stock alternator even after replacing it 3 years ago could not handle it very well, unless the engine was rev'd to about 3000 rpm and held there. Currently running a 1000w amplifier (200w per channel) which is run off the battery with 2Ga wire through a 40A relay (to make sure there's no power draw when the car isn't running), still have the lights dim out badly at low volume with the brakes being pressed. Can't turn the stereo system up without having people think i'm flashing my lights at them :lol: .

Before you install the new alternator check grounds, wiring, etc... throughout your entire electrical system. If you go with another stock remanufactured unit, test it properly before installation. I've seen so called rebuilt units that weren't exactly rebuilt properly.

Higher amperage alternator options are limited for the 88-89. Counter-clockwise rotation and plug type 294 is used. Problem is finding something that will bolt up. No idea if the stock alternator housing would allow it but it is sometimes possible to disassemble a better alternator and reassemble it in the old housing. The 90-93 Accord alternator has a different bolt pattern but if you are skilled the internals might fit in the 88-89 Integra housing. I have seen this done but it is very difficult and often could require custom fabrication.

Topic Author
g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b

Postby g1_teg_lover » April 4th, 2013, 10:47 pm

How do you test a remanufactured unit before installing it? This would end up being the 2nd reman. unit purchased (first one was from Beck-Arnley, lasted 3 years) and 4th alternator total that i've installed (2 Junkyard pulls that have both lasted about 2 years each).

VAPRAI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby VAPRAI » April 4th, 2013, 11:00 pm

g1_teg_lover wrote:How do you test a remanufactured unit before installing it? This would end up being the 2nd reman. unit purchased (first one was from Beck-Arnley, lasted 3 years) and 4th alternator total that i've installed (2 Junkyard pulls that have both lasted about 2 years each).

A place like NAPA or Autozone will test it for free.

Also you might want to look into finding a new alternator if you can and the price is right.
Instead of another reman, I went with a brand new Bosch unit. That was 11 years ago and its still going strong today.

Biscuit
Legit G1Tegger

Postby Biscuit » April 5th, 2013, 8:51 am

Downgrade your sound system.
Why do you need it to be so loud.
The G1teg is not a good base for a loud car stereo.
"If I had a nickle for every time that I buckled under pressure I would have five nickles."
Hank Hill

88RS RIP 9-1995 - 3-2006
89LS RIP 3-2006 - 9-2010
88SE FUN FUN FUN!!!

Topic Author
g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b

Postby g1_teg_lover » April 6th, 2013, 4:16 am

It's not kept really loud, I just like to be able to feel bass in my music. That and to show those people, the ones you can hear (and feel) 3 cars back at stoplights, a thing or two. Usually get behind them and give them a good taste of what i'm listening to (something like this or this). Not to mention, I really enjoy feeling my music (keeps me awake on long trips).

Biscuit
Legit G1Tegger

Postby Biscuit » April 6th, 2013, 9:09 am

So you are THAT asshole that I HATE at a red light.
Lovely.
"If I had a nickle for every time that I buckled under pressure I would have five nickles."
Hank Hill

88RS RIP 9-1995 - 3-2006
89LS RIP 3-2006 - 9-2010
88SE FUN FUN FUN!!!

Topic Author
g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b

Postby g1_teg_lover » April 6th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Hey now, I only do that at lights if someone is doing it first. I normally keep my stereo where it's not going to disturb others :lol:

I was cleaning out my shed today, and managed to come across an alternator that I had replaced from a friends grand-am for him. In the same box, I found an alternator from my teg (one of the junkyard pulled ones). I'd have to take a good few measurements on the mounting holes, but they looked to be about the same size (eyeballing it).

Then it's just a matter of figuring out what pins go to what and changing out the end (or making an adapter cable) to hook it up.

Topic Author
g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b

Postby g1_teg_lover » April 7th, 2013, 7:10 am

Ok, got some pictures of the two alternators (the one for the teg on the left, GM one on the right).

From the looks, the two are almost the same size, with the difference being the Honda one has one mount that's slightly larger and the pinouts. I'll have to see if I can find a part number on the GM alternator, but I do believe that it is a CS-130, which I've seen swapped into many other vehicles (Toyota's, Mazda RX-7s, etc.). I've still yet to take full measurements, need to get my digital calipers back from a friend i lent them to before going to the next step of seeing how hard it would be to fit under the hood.

markl
G1 n00b

Postby markl » April 7th, 2013, 8:52 pm

I doubt the GM alternator will work running counterclockwise.

Topic Author
g1_teg_lover
G1 n00b

Postby g1_teg_lover » April 8th, 2013, 2:00 am

markl wrote:I doubt the GM alternator will work running counterclockwise.

Alternators aren't direction specific as they create AC current that is then converted to DC via the rectifier. As long as there's a creation of the magnetic field, it will produce current, which is why some people use alternators to create wind turbines (it works, some small mods are usually needed). The only thing that the direction has an effect on with the GM one is the cooling fan on the pulley. That's a simple fix, as I have a place that does sell the pulley replacement for CCW rotation (so the fins are properly cooling).

Tegnoob
G1 n00b

Postby Tegnoob » November 17th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Any results yet?

MugenBOI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby MugenBOI » December 17th, 2013, 9:44 am

My alternator is also done :/ do you guys think it's a bad idea to get mine rebuilt ? I have a friend who his uncles ownes a shop and they rebuild alternators and axels and starters. They rebuilt a lot of things for shops like O'Reillys auto parts Napa pep boys Ect here in my town . So what do you guys think

MinkelR
Site Admin

Postby MinkelR » December 17th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Go for it!
1987 Acura Integra LS (Rest in Pieces)
1989 Acura Integra LS Daily Driver
1992 Mazda 323 (Sold)

Return to “Interior/Exterior/ICE/Detailing”