who has bored out the stock 1.6

Turbo, SC, or NOS related topics...

Moderators: Ami, evtsteward

Topic Author
MugenBOI
Legit G1Tegger

who has bored out the stock 1.6

Postby MugenBOI » March 19th, 2013, 5:15 pm

who has bored out there stock motors ? what where the results HP and TORQUE ..is it worth it? how much money is on parts and labor?

88RS809
G1 n00b

Re: who has bored out the stock 1.6

Postby 88RS809 » March 23rd, 2013, 5:10 pm

Boring and honing if I remember correctly is about $500-$800. You will gain power, no way to tell how much unless you dyno it. You also have to check what the maximum bore is that you an safely bore to. But make that 1.6 into a 1.7 and you'll feel a difference...gotta get oversized pistons and rings too so that's more money (Extra $300-$500). Only worth it if you're gonna make it a race motor, not worth it for a little build, save the money and spend it somewhere else. Or better yet drop a B20 into a 1st gen Integra and have your mind blown. That should probably run you the same amount of money (Including the B20, a B series tranny and mounts too).
1988 Integra RS (Daily Driver) 1999 Integra GS-R
2000 Civic EX 200whp (R.I.P./Rear Ended)

"I take more pride in making an older car look good, than spending a ton of money on a brand new one...Built Not Bought"

JLAUDIOinCIVIC
Legit G1Tegger

Postby JLAUDIOinCIVIC » March 25th, 2013, 7:10 pm

88RS809 wrote:Boring and honing if I remember correctly is about $500-$800. You will gain power, no way to tell how much unless you dyno it. You also have to check what the maximum bore is that you an safely bore to. But make that 1.6 into a 1.7 and you'll feel a difference...gotta get oversized pistons and rings too so that's more money (Extra $300-$500). Only worth it if you're gonna make it a race motor, not worth it for a little build, save the money and spend it somewhere else. Or better yet drop a B20 into a 1st gen Integra and have your mind blown. That should probably run you the same amount of money (Including the B20, a B series tranny and mounts too).

price is way off.. no way is boring cost that much for a 4banger. hell my friend just had his lt1 block bored and cleaned for $150.. it might be that much to get it resleeved. boring and horning doesnt take very long and is a quick turn around. you just gotta make sure you have the pistons(with rings) when you take the block..

as for how far. you cant bore very much with out resleeving since the d16 sleeves are already super thin. when i build my se motor in going .5 over which might even be tomuch.. pistons arent to bad. $150-600 most come with rings, your going need to get a headgasket to match $100. then i would get arps, new rod bearings, main bearings, t-washer. plus all new gaskets. might as well have the head redone.. water pump and oil while your there as well as a tune up. then your going have to tune the car for the new set up..

but really you could just do a std bore rebuild bottom end and get some head work done. nice exhaust and cam set up. it will be 100% better than your worn out high milage motor..

i can rebuild a d16a1 motor a hell alot cheaper than swaping a b16,17,18,20. you have to price everything out.. mounts are $600 axles $350+ wiring $? then you have to buy the swap$1000 if your lucky.. then comes the timming belt, water pump, tune up, clutch, shift leakage.. pay to have the exhaust redid and probly have to buy a header.. whos to say that used motor you just payed more for than your car isnt going to need a headgasket or a rebuild?. then your out more money..

im in the middle of a std bore rebuild that hasnt costed me over $300 bucks and the motor is all together. but i did all the work myself(horning, head work and so on.)
88 integra ls se black/gold- semi daily
88 yugo gv. motor less
84 nissan 200sx/s12. ka24e powered if i ever get off my ass
84 gmc 1500, small block. hauler, dd for now

88RS809
G1 n00b

Postby 88RS809 » March 26th, 2013, 12:21 am

JLAUDIOinCIVIC wrote:
88RS809 wrote:Boring and honing if I remember correctly is about $500-$800. You will gain power, no way to tell how much unless you dyno it. You also have to check what the maximum bore is that you an safely bore to. But make that 1.6 into a 1.7 and you'll feel a difference...gotta get oversized pistons and rings too so that's more money (Extra $300-$500). Only worth it if you're gonna make it a race motor, not worth it for a little build, save the money and spend it somewhere else. Or better yet drop a B20 into a 1st gen Integra and have your mind blown. That should probably run you the same amount of money (Including the B20, a B series tranny and mounts too).

price is way off.. no way is boring cost that much for a 4banger. hell my friend just had his lt1 block bored and cleaned for $150.. it might be that much to get it resleeved. boring and horning doesnt take very long and is a quick turn around. you just gotta make sure you have the pistons(with rings) when you take the block..

as for how far. you cant bore very much with out resleeving since the d16 sleeves are already super thin. when i build my se motor in going .5 over which might even be tomuch.. pistons arent to bad. $150-600 most come with rings, your going need to get a headgasket to match $100. then i would get arps, new rod bearings, main bearings, t-washer. plus all new gaskets. might as well have the head redone.. water pump and oil while your there as well as a tune up. then your going have to tune the car for the new set up..

but really you could just do a std bore rebuild bottom end and get some head work done. nice exhaust and cam set up. it will be 100% better than your worn out high milage motor..

i can rebuild a d16a1 motor a hell alot cheaper than swaping a b16,17,18,20. you have to price everything out.. mounts are $600 axles $350+ wiring $? then you have to buy the swap$1000 if your lucky.. then comes the timming belt, water pump, tune up, clutch, shift leakage.. pay to have the exhaust redid and probly have to buy a header.. whos to say that used motor you just payed more for than your car isnt going to need a headgasket or a rebuild?. then your out more money..

im in the middle of a std bore rebuild that hasnt costed me over $300 bucks and the motor is all together. but i did all the work myself(horning, head work and so on.)

Pricing must be based on location I guess, here in CT sleeving is about $1000-$1500, but if you get those prices then yes it isn't that bad.

As far as your B-Series pricing, I would have to say that's off, conversion mounts should be around $300, axles from a parts store $200, junkyard even less. Swaps from Jdm Engine Depot go for $500 (B20B), $750 (B20Z) and LS swaps are probably under $300. All motors have less than 50,000 miles and no one I know has had problems with them. Yes you can perform all basic maintenance (T-belt, water pump, head gasket etc.) but most people don't until they need to and have had absolutely no problems (Motors from Japan have low mileage...possibly due to emissions requirments, not sure). Finally a transmission can be found for $150-$300 for an LS, perhaps a GS-R if you are lucky. Of course buying a used tranny involves trusting that it works, but unless you rebuild it's the only route you can take. Wiring I'm sure wouldn't cost much, especially if done by yourself. If you placed a B20 in a 1st gen at a cost of about $1000 (if you take your time and find deals online), the power would be incredible, with something like 135TQ at 3k rpm it's crazy power to feel in a light car.

If you rebuild the motor with everything from bearings ($125) ARP studs ($100) full gasket set ($125) +Main Bearings, head gasket, machine work...you're gonna be close to the same cost, especially if you can't perform that work on your own. Of course labor for removal and install of the motor would be the same for both.
1988 Integra RS (Daily Driver) 1999 Integra GS-R
2000 Civic EX 200whp (R.I.P./Rear Ended)

"I take more pride in making an older car look good, than spending a ton of money on a brand new one...Built Not Bought"

JLAUDIOinCIVIC
Legit G1Tegger

Postby JLAUDIOinCIVIC » March 26th, 2013, 3:26 am

88RS809 wrote:
JLAUDIOinCIVIC wrote:

Pricing must be based on location I guess, here in CT sleeving is about $1000-$1500, but if you get those prices then yes it isn't that bad.

As far as your B-Series pricing, I would have to say that's off, conversion mounts should be around $300, axles from a parts store $200, junkyard even less. Swaps from Jdm Engine Depot go for $500 (B20B), $750 (B20Z) and LS swaps are probably under $300. All motors have less than 50,000 miles and no one I know has had problems with them. Yes you can perform all basic maintenance (T-belt, water pump, head gasket etc.) but most people don't until they need to and have had absolutely no problems (Motors from Japan have low mileage...possibly due to emissions requirments, not sure). Finally a transmission can be found for $150-$300 for an LS, perhaps a GS-R if you are lucky. Of course buying a used tranny involves trusting that it works, but unless you rebuild it's the only route you can take. Wiring I'm sure wouldn't cost much, especially if done by yourself. If you placed a B20 in a 1st gen at a cost of about $1000 (if you take your time and find deals online), the power would be incredible, with something like 135TQ at 3k rpm it's crazy power to feel in a light car.

If you rebuild the motor with everything from bearings ($125) ARP studs ($100) full gasket set ($125) +Main Bearings, head gasket, machine work...you're gonna be close to the same cost, especially if you can't perform that work on your own. Of course labor for removal and install of the motor would be the same for both.

i can tell you havent really looked into this very much.. A you cant run any kind of stock axle. you have to get custom made ones.. ie razzles or driveshaftshop or hasports..

mounts $400
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HASPORT-MOTOR-M ... f4&vxp=mtr

axles $300
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HASPORT-AXLES-F ... 85&vxp=mtr

i know hasport makes a wiring jumper as well if you want a plug and play.. im pretty sure you still have to but a civic si rear mount bracket as well.. where can you find a good runing b18 for $300? id like to see that.. if you do its just the long block. then your going to need a wiring harness, ecu, and the ant. powersteering pump, whatever else is missing. then coolent lines, relocal the battery.. the shift leakage needs to be moded. i know the jdm sites dont ship half the parts your going to need so good luck out sources all the right parts.. theres alot more than just buying mounts and a motor

iv done the swap twice now.. once with a jdm b16 then in a 4door with a b18 ls
88 integra ls se black/gold- semi daily
88 yugo gv. motor less
84 nissan 200sx/s12. ka24e powered if i ever get off my ass
84 gmc 1500, small block. hauler, dd for now

d16a3teg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby d16a3teg » March 26th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Hey MugenBOI - I've bored my block out 1mm oversized (~40 thou) and there was a noticeable difference in the feel from the engine. Also had the head shaved by 1mm as well.
70 N360
86 Integra SX16
88 CRX Si
90 Integra LS Vtec
03 MDX
08 Subaru Outback

qikteg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby qikteg » March 26th, 2013, 10:18 pm

d16a3teg wrote:Hey MugenBOI - I've bored my block out 1mm oversized (~40 thou) and there was a noticeable difference in the feel from the engine. Also had the head shaved by 1mm as well.

did you do this yourself or get a shop to do it?

what sort of AU cost was involved if you don't mind?

d16a3teg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby d16a3teg » March 27th, 2013, 11:26 am

Went to a shop - Motor Improvements in Keysborough Melbourne. Cost was around $500 including supply of 1mm oversize pistons, rings, bearings and assembly of the block components. Did this about 8 years ago.
70 N360
86 Integra SX16
88 CRX Si
90 Integra LS Vtec
03 MDX
08 Subaru Outback

247christian
Legit G1Tegger

Postby 247christian » March 27th, 2013, 5:05 pm

i bored and honed my d16a1 . 5mm over which is the biggest size piston acura makes. as far as cost i did a complete oem rebuild. so with parts and engine labor i spent almost 2,000. ill be tuning it and dynoing it soon

qikteg
Legit G1Tegger

Postby qikteg » March 27th, 2013, 9:01 pm

thats not such a bad cost. might need to find some engine builders/rebuilders in sydney..

Topic Author
MugenBOI
Legit G1Tegger

Postby MugenBOI » March 31st, 2013, 4:54 pm

wow this alot of great info ... i just dont know if i want to bore out my 1.6 or just buy a swap :/ what do you guys think its best ? will the 1.6 bored out last or will it give out pretty quick?

WHOPPER
G1 n00b

Postby WHOPPER » April 3rd, 2013, 4:21 pm

Hey where can you get the oversized pistons or pistons for a turbo setup

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
If Google can't help in your G1 hunt contact Mr. Carlson!

yes it is what you think a whopper on a whopper!

If you can't fix it with duct tape you're not using enough duct tape!

Williamka
G1 n00b

who has bored out the stock 1 6

Postby Williamka » May 14th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Post more details on the setup. Manifold ? Injectors turbo. Pump gas meth. S50 s52 built. Stock.

bmckay123
G1 n00b

Postby bmckay123 » May 31st, 2016, 10:56 pm

I've bored a dohc zc to 78mm and ran it for about 80,000 miles in my 88SE before I parked it. It's been sitting beside my house for years now waiting for a new home. I also have a spare d16a1 block that has new Golden Eagle sleeves with 81 mm forged Golden eagle pistons and rods sitting in my garage that has never been run. They're waiting on someone to put it in my 88 SE and turbo it....
88 SE

Return to “Forced Induction”